No announcement yet.

Anyone here have an aircooled bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That'd be pretty cool man, sorry to hear about his child.

Comment

i had a squareback.... it was cool for a rustbucket

Comment

my dads had them since he was a kid, ive been around them my whole live. bugs, buses, ghias, type 3s and 4s, fuel injected ones, automatic ones, you name it- its been here. not much rust problems here in Florida, if its bug or bus, body parts should be reasonable to find anyway. if a bug is too rusted, chop it into a baja. you can rebuild a 1600 for cheap and get a decent dual weber setup and some headers going. or easily up the compression/dispacement and go wild. i say get one if you have an e30 youre happy with and want more. get a type 3 or something though, bugs are everywhere.

make sure you really know what youre looking for when buying one, and keep it cool.

Comment

^^^^^^ What he said... Been there, done it with Type 1's. Even had a 2270cc Type 4 conversion in a 63 bug on an IRS pan. Lots of fun, but it's still just a bug. I like a Bug better bone stock.

If you want to have some fun, be different and go with a squareback. They look cool/retro and are a lot more comfortable. Engines are a little harder to hot-rod since the space is tight, but it's do-able.

Have fun, stay away from the rust.

Tom
          My new blog site: http://www.tomperso.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Link View Post
            I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for years. It seems like there's extensive aftermarket support and they're cheap and easy to purchase, work on, and modify.
            They're very addictive and all that is true. Here's mine (blue bug on the left)

Comment

411/412 ftw

Originally posted by bimmertom View Post
              ^^^^^^ what he said... Been there, done it with type 1's. Even had a 2270cc type 4 conversion in a 63 bug on an irs pan. Lots of fun, but it's still just a bug. I like a bug better bone stock.

If you want to have some fun, be different and go with a squareback. They look cool/retro and are a lot more comfortable. Engines are a little harder to hot-rod since the space is tight, but it's do-able.

have fun, stay away from the rust.

Tom
              HE>i
              89 335i m30 power, 4hp22 delivery

Comment

If you want to get really crazy, get a Super Beetle and go "Euro Look" on it... Porsche 944 suspension parts drop right in (front and rear), and then convert it to watercooled and do a Subie 2.5L conversion.

Oh yeah, now you're talking about a real Beetle.
                My new blog site: http://www.tomperso.com

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerTom View Post
                  ^^^^^^ What he said... Been there, done it with Type 1's. Even had a 2270cc Type 4 conversion in a 63 bug on an IRS pan. Lots of fun, but it's still just a bug. I like a Bug better bone stock.

Have fun, stay away from the rust.

Tom

funny my dads got a '63 camper with a type 4 motor in it. just out of having it around when the type 1 crapped out.

squarebacks are nice but fastbacks are definitely my favorite. weve had a couple. easy to fit dual carbs and such if you dont mind cutting out the package tray/engine cover deal. we've never had any "super nice" ones where it would matter haha. except my dads buses...wouldnt molest those.

Comment

i have one.. it always needs work... but its fun.. nothing like a vw..
                    "life's like the hair outta your ass... short and full of shit...":blowup:

Comment

Lets see... First car was a '71 super beetle with a brushed on paintjob
                      '67 that was sold(bad rust but a field find)
                      '69 Squareback automatic(first year I think, horrible trans!)
                      '74 Karmann Ghia w/ a 1776
                      '79 Bus Camper(not a Westfalia, top went straight up on both ends

I would like to get a pre '66 beetle or a microbus(barndoor FTW)

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
                      i had a 69 that left me stranded on I5 after it burned the number 1 piston. engine only had 13k on it. i sold it shortly after that and vowed never to get another air cooled vehicle again.
                      Thats crazy talk, give it another try you had a highly unusual experience
                      Originally posted by RobE30 View Post
                      I am poor and don't have a video camera. He has not had the car out for a few seasons. He got distracted by starting his own machine shop and dealing w/ a very sick child (leukemia) who has since passed on.

I'll try to get you a "build list" for the engine trans along w/ prices
                      Sorry to hear that. How is the machine shop going. I've been thinking about opening one but its hard to judge the demand for one. I know alot of older shops are closing but I think that might be the old pros not having anyone to take over for them.

Aircooled VWs are good for your car karma.

Comment

Working...
                      X