New, member, new 325es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, member, new 325es

Just bought my first e30, a 1986 black 325es on Sunday... excited to be a proud e30 owner.

The good:
    • Engine recently replaced, less than 1000 mi ago. Receipts for swap and lots of stuff replaced in the process.

• Southern car no rust, even on frame, except for a couple spots (see bad).
    • only 155,000 mi, still young.
    • well maintained, brakes good, suspension good, instruments all work including odometer/ spedo.
    • its an e30!
    • the b27 might give me an excuse for some upgrading down the road...
    • electrical is great, no check engine either
    • Aftermarket radio...thank god I can plug my ipod in.
    • extra set of rims, (classic bottlecap) with snows
    • Have access to beautiful garage with lift, welders, spray gun, and just about anything else you could imagine, sans alignment tool, and wheel mounter
    • Affordable... still have 1500 to put into it.

The bad:
    • Interior is in rough shape, ripped seats, cracked dash (big suprise)
    • tiny bit of rust on hood, trunk got wet at some point so rust problem there as well as rear fender.
    • its an es... so a little less fun. The engine looks like a b27 even though he thought the swap was from a 325i (pic coming soon)
    • ABS light is on... checking the relay first
    • some minor dents and dings, chrome around passenger window is coming off
    • will be driven at least one Vermont winter (I know, I hate to do it to the car as well.)

I'm picking the car up on thursday and will take some more (crappy, sorry bad phone) pictures after its 3 hour trip from albany (a good test of how it really runs).

This car will be a daily driver for a short commute, so it needs to be reliable. I plan on keeping it for the long run so taking great care of it is a priority. Making it look nice comes second.
    Looking to keep a comprehensive tool kit in the trunk, so I'm wondering what that should include.
    Any other thoughts, recommendations and criticisms would be appreciated... I'm excited to be part of a vibrant and great community!

5spd? I love the early model db's and valances, so sexy. Get those pics! Welcome!!

Comment

Same car i bought! 1986 black 325es 5speed
      1991 318i Slicktop - Sold
      1991 325ix - Sold
      1997 Estoril M3 Coupe - Sold
      1986 325es - RIP
      1997 328is - Sold
      1995 Avus M3

instagram @MattLarzz

//M42 GOON-SQUAD
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=281596

Comment

of course its a 5speed.... wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. Shifts silky smooth as well. I really want to find a little more out about the engine, particuallry if its a super eta or not that got swapped in. Looking at the engine its pretty clear that its not an "i" motor :(

Looked at tools today, going to get a 4 1/2" grinder, complete set of deepwall sockets, got zip-ties and duct tape (essential), and phosphoric acid and por-15 for rust. The underside is beautiful so undercoating is a priority; want to keep it clean and easy to work on.

Comment

congrats.... Welcome
          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Congrats! I like the es.

In for pics
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

here are the few pics that were emailed to me of the engine... more on thursday.

new chip will happen soon after that, any recommendations?

I contemplated a m50 swap, but the engine is in good shape... if the motor came of an 88 eta, i.e. supereta, does anyone know if a supercharger has been tried yet with the i top end?

Can anyone tell which engine this is by these less than optimal pics?

thanks, more eye candy soon... then lots of time to spend on the car not under the hood.
              Attached Files

Comment

long 6 hour driving day after 7 hours of work this morning. The car drove great back from Albany, about a 3 hour trip. Only issue, drivers side door doesn't lock or unlock from the outside. Kinda a pain, will put on the fix right away list.

As promised some low quality pics
                Attached Files

Comment

that's awesome man i picked up my e30 2 weeks ago finally lol its a white on black 86 325es and i love it, good luck!
                  -Chris

Comment

welcome from a fellow ES owners
                    it's just a ETA !

Comment

Looks like a great start. I'm envious of your supereta
                      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                      '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
                      '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
                      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Working...