Anyone here have an aircooled bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here have an aircooled bug?

I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for years. It seems like there's extensive aftermarket support and they're cheap and easy to purchase, work on, and modify.

Used to own a 66, lots of fun to drive and work on.
    Main thing is to make sure the boddy does not have much rust as this things are prone to rust.
    here is my 66 I sold to get my e30

AutoCross Photos!!https://picasaweb.google.com/eugenes18t

Comment

search in the VW picture thread. I think bender has one.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Both my parents as well as my aunt had them and ran them until they all got totalled, dad had his all through college and 4 years afterwards, and my mom's lasted another 3 years after college. We tried to find one w/o rust for me, which was hard to find and ended up with an e30 instead. Good luck with your search, there's lots of them out there, but its hard to find one cheap i good shape.

Comment

i gotta a bus. 65 standard walk-thru. owned it for 18 years.

Comment

Had a '56 bug, '63, '64, '66 busses, '64 bug, '67 bug (current), '68, '70, '71 and a '74 bug. They can be addictive. Check for rust (obviously) but other than that there is a HUGE aftermarket following. My friend has a bug that is running mid 10's w/ a non-turbo motor :D That car is scary on the street. Check out www.thesamba.com for some great resources. Good luck and have fun
            09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
            05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
            87 BMW 325is
            a few bicycles

Comment

67 ghia
              65 bug
              66 bug
              71 bug
              72 bug
              75 bug
              69 sqback
              70 sqback
              67 bus
              72 bus
              stock powered Veep
              turboed 2 liter Veep
              60 VW powered Fiat 600
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

ive got 14 at hand. Let me know if you dont find one on the left coast
                sigpic

Comment

i had a 69 that left me stranded on I5 after it burned the number 1 piston. engine only had 13k on it. i sold it shortly after that and vowed never to get another air cooled vehicle again.

Comment

Originally posted by RobE30 View Post
                    Had a '56 bug, '63, '64, '66 busses, '64 bug, '67 bug (current), '68, '70, '71 and a '74 bug. They can be addictive. Check for rust (obviously) but other than that there is a HUGE aftermarket following. My friend has a bug that is running mid 10's w/ a non-turbo motor :D That car is scary on the street. Check out www.thesamba.com for some great resources. Good luck and have fun
                    Geez, with a non-turbo? What's he have done to it? What's the displacement?

Comment

2275 cc engine (stock was 1600cc w/ a 69mm stroke and 85.5 pistons) 84mm crank and 94mm pistons, massive headwork (serious porting and welding), 58mm dual weber carbs (stock was a single 34mm solex), big cam, homemade header setup and a close ratio trans. It is REALLY fun to drive. It's like driving a super fast go cart that'll go sideways when you stomp on it.
                      87 BMW 325is
                      a few bicycles

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
                        ive got 14 at hand. Let me know if you dont find one on the left coast
                        Do you have any door panels for a '64 ish bug?
                        87 BMW 325is
                        a few bicycles

Comment

2275 cc engine (stock was 1600cc w/ a 69mm stroke and 85.5 pistons) 84mm crank and 94mm pistons, massive headwork (serious porting and welding), 58mm dual weber carbs (stock was a single 34mm solex), big cam, homemade header setup and a close ratio trans. It is REALLY fun to drive. It's like driving a super fast go cart that'll go sideways when you stomp on it.
                          Vids. We need vids.

Comment

Wow, that a pretty small engine for running mid-10's, he must have known what he was doing! I've seen people with turbocharged 2275cc engines running high 11's. Any idea what he has invested into the drivetrain?

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              Vids. We need vids.
                              I am poor and don't have a video camera. He has not had the car out for a few seasons. He got distracted by starting his own machine shop and dealing w/ a very sick child (leukemia) who has since passed on.

I'll try to get you a "build list" for the engine trans along w/ prices
                              87 BMW 325is
                              a few bicycles

Comment

Working...
                              X