Upgrading to Parallel Flow Condenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
    I pulled the front end so I didn't make a huge mess and have to rebleed my cooling system. Yes, it it possible to do it by taking the radiator out, but this is another alternative. As far is being a waste of time, to each his own. I went from only getting 58F at night time with recirculation on to in the early 40's at night. that temperature is a nice reduction from the stock setup and this is really meant for everyone that has R-134 conversion.

And why would you put in a serpentine in? That's similar to the tube and fin design. I just went straight for the parallel flow design because it dissipates heat a LOT more than a T&F/Serpentine would.
    If you were getting 58F with recirc on under pretty much any circumstances, then you had a problem with your system that was not related to the condenser.

As for the serpentine, I put it in because I had it and the (18 month old) Behr was leaking. There had been some hope a while ago that we would receive a pf unit when ordering a specific part number, but it didn't pan out after the first couple. I had assumed that it would perform as well as stock. Unfortunately, it just wasn't even in the same ballpark as stock.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
      will be doing this as i hate how the performance goes down at idle.
      thanks!
      I think no matter how hard we try, the idle performance will never be as good as you are in motion. My advice is to bypass the resistor on the fan and put it on high speed all the time.
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
        will be doing this as i hate how the performance goes down at idle.
        thanks!
        Bypass the aux fan resistor. You can do that with zero disassembly for free. Or better yet, install a new, high quality pusher fan.
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

I just put in a drop in PF and a new stock replacement aux fan from MTC. I have 43 degree air blowing in my face with temps of 86 outside. This is at around town speeds. This is with 134a. My stock condenser was completely screwed and the fins pretty much fell off of it during removal. I am pleased. Also, I would totally remove the radiator to get to the condenser. It is very easy.

Comment

did you remove the evaporator when flushing it?
            RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
            89' 318i

Comment

Originally posted by Gruelius View Post
              did you remove the evaporator when flushing it?
              No, I didn't flush the evaporator. I simply pulled it out, hosed the fins down and got as much gunk as I could out of there. Remember, our cars don't have cabin filters, so I think that also helped with cooling.

Comment

Managed to stick a thermometer in my vents to see what the coldest I could get my car to this morning before I got to work. With ambient temps in the 80's, I managed to get to 38 degrees with the recirculation button on. Yes, I know I "cheated" by using the recirculation button, but the point of all this was to get the car as cool as possible. And it does its job very nicely now!

Comment

that's nothing,i want to see during 100+ temp.

I can't wait to test out my a/c.:p

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
                    that's nothing,i want to see during 100+ temp.

I can't wait to test out my a/c.:p
                    lol go for it. Anything colder and you will freeze your evaporator.

Comment

Managed to stick a thermometer in my vents to see what the coldest I could get my car to this morning before I got to work. With ambient temps in the 80's, I managed to get to 38 degrees with the recirculation button on. Yes, I know I "cheated" by using the recirculation button, but the point of all this was to get the car as cool as possible. And it does its job very nicely now!
                      Stock condenser while driving:

Stock condenser idling:

Soo... Still trying to figure out what the performance improvement is.
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

This was from my own personal experience. I wrote this up to help others out and I've already heard some success from this.

As far as your pictures...cool, keep your stock condenser. More money and time in your pocket. I just found a big improvement from my old one, that's all. Everyone's system is different.

Comment

Nice write up bro. People need to appreciate when someone take some of their time to write up something like this to try and help others.

Originally posted by bimmershark View Post
                          a/c is for waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffless......true story
                          I got to agree!
                          Best Regards,
                          -Joel Perez

DipitAll.com
                          For all your Plasti Dip needs. Covering all SWFL

Comment

This was from my own personal experience. I wrote this up to help others out and I've already heard some success from this.

As far as your pictures...cool, keep your stock condenser. More money and time in your pocket. I just found a big improvement from my old one, that's all. Everyone's system is different.
                            Nrub live in Washington, DC which isn't hot/not humid comparing to us. Is why he is getting 40f from his a/c.

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
                              Nrub live in Washington, DC which isn't hot/not humid comparing to us. Is why he is getting 40f from his a/c.
                              Right. That's why I'm blowing 2 degrees colder than he is in weather 10 degrees hotter. He didn't say what his fan speed was, either.
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

This is the internet. Everyone has to say you're wrong and then show you how. :)

The PF condenser for my E30 will be in tomorrow. I'll be making a write up for replacing everything in the E30 AC system in the coming week.

Comment

Working...
                                X