Hitting the Reset button on a car headed to the grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the Reset button on a car headed to the grave

Cheap BMW's are the low hanging fruit and ultimately more expensive than just buying a nice one. The sense of accomplishment is such a huge payoff when its all done. Bringing a car with a foot in the grave back to its former glory and allowing it to live another 20 years is awesome.

This car is a 1987 Early model Alpine on cardinal I bought for $800 with no compression from a kid who had single-handedly taken a 1 owner e30 and turned it into a pile of shit over a two year period. His stereo install was the worst I have ever seen, limo tint on all windows, chrome stick on trim on every fender arch and window, honda offset 17" wheels that rubbed the inboard section of the fender as they must have been et50, thank god he never ever decided to pop the hood and go to town. When the fuel pump finally died he was driving on 3 cylinders with a horrificly bad wheel bearing, cracked brake rotors, and totally waffled center support bearing. He said "yea dude just change the fuel pump and it will smog fine" as he lied through his teeth. I sent him a picture of the finished product with a waffles waffles you for all the ish you lied to me about. I'll share some before and after over the 3 month period I restored it.

Work commences:

Redying the seats with $150 in dye and leatherique and about 20 hours of labor

3 Months and $3800 later

The original single stage alpine paint can be cut an polished to perfection no matter how bad it is:

Redying the seats was a huge undertaking but was a huge payoff.

I sincerely hope this inspires r3v to focus on restoring a car to stock perfection before heading down the mod path. A car on tight stock suspension will handle better than one on blown ball joints on a china bay coil over kit. After the restoration the car was sold to my friend who has never had to do more than an oil change and basic maintenance for over two years now, rock solid reliable and timeless looks. My neighbor walked up to me one day and said "i want to buy your car" I replied I would be happy to help him find an e30 and I was not finished with it. He said "no I want THAT car" as I restored the car to restore it and already had 3 e30's to drive I passed it on.

Would I do it again? YES! But remember even if it runs and drives that "deal" you got on an e30 will add up quickly even doing all your own labor. Doing things for the first time means it will take you 10 times longer, so just because you have $800 does not mean you can afford an e30.
    Last edited by Wild Ride; 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM.

nice work saving that car

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Thanks iwantspeed

My favorite part is there was no paintwork done. Just a cut and polish that spanned several days to bring the paint back including the removal of handles trim and lights. and digging mud out of the cabin air tray under the vents.

Here are some pictures with my 89 at auto-x

Last edited by Wild Ride; 09-29-2013, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Comment

Nice work bringing that paint back. Like that you took the stock vs mod approach
          Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

Well done! Great to see a car destined for the grave come back and look like that.
            -----------------
            89 M50B28 turbo
            LINKY
            -----------------

Comment

Great work fixing the damage dome by that prick. That interior makes me very jealous. I'm dealing with the same thing on a much longer timeline.
              1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
              1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
              bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Wow amazing

Comment

Great work saving that e30, it looks fantastic!
                  -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

Wow..incredible.

Love that fuel filter pic, looks like the one in my car right now...LOL.

Fantastic work, now get to MODIFYING!!!!

(LOL, I know you sold it, I know you like stock)

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Great work

Comment

I'm glad you saved it and went to a good home.
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Great work..I love bringing them back to life
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh my god! That is fantastic!

Kudos bringing it back! Looks incredible!
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Good job bringing it back to life. Any write up about the seats? Im trying to redo mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X