Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing D700 capabilities in low-light (M3 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing D700 capabilities in low-light (M3 content)

I wanted to see how far I could take ISO on my D700 without the pictures turning out super grainy or unusable. Sun starting to set around 6:30 and started taking pictures at 6:40. Finished around 7:20 due to the darkness. ISO ranged from 2000-5000

And to prevent from getting flamed on, I'll only post this one picture with my friend's 9th gen Si

'90 Alpine White M3
    OEM Hella Smoked Euro Smileys | OEM Headlamp Washers | Startec Tail Lights |
    EVO III Undertray | EVO III Front Lip | '92 DTM CF Gurney Flap | Recaro N'Joys |
    Ground Control Coilovers | OZ Futuras

DD: '97 Alpine White M3/4/5

hot damn!

Comment

I'm digging the grainy look, I like it.
      Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

Fantastic, what lense?
        1987 325is - S52

Comment

No instagram needed! Beautiful.

Comment

Post processing style is perfect for the location/time of shoot etc. Really dig it man. Love the M3 too, I will have one one day haha. The futuras look great.
            1987 325is - S52

Comment

Love it!

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

what instagram filter is that;)

Comment

i am interested to hear your thoughts on the 700. I just made the plunge and switched marquis. i miss the dynamic color range of the Nikon, but the high iso in the Canon is unbelievable. Below are some images the day i purchased the 6d. I walked out of the office around midnight, put the camera on "Automatic" and squeezed away. these images are handheld with no post processing.

Comment

^^^ Same feelings when I switched from a Nikon d300 to the Canon 7d. It's amazing how well the newer Canons do in low light situations. Without playing with any of the new Nikon stuff its hard to say, but most require PP to look good.

And OP, editing your low light "test" kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Post the originals, I am curious to see what they look like... I :giggle: 'ed when I read the "what instagram filter is that" hahaha whether or not that was a joke that's the first thing I though of...
                    sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

photos look great!
                      could use a chrome grille tho

e24 e9 e30
                      IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Thanks guys! The lens is a 50mm f/1.4
                        Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
                        i am interested to hear your thoughts on the 700. I just made the plunge and switched marquis. i miss the dynamic color range of the Nikon, but the high iso in the Canon is unbelievable. Below are some images the day i purchased the 6d. I walked out of the office around midnight, put the camera on "Automatic" and squeezed away. these images are handheld with no post processing.
                        I've had the D700 a little over a year now and I love it. I previously had a D90 which wasn't full frame and there was a huge difference. Not only with ISO, but with detail and depth the D700 gives me.

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
                        OP, editing your low light "test" kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Post the originals, I am curious to see what they look like... I :giggle: 'ed when I read the "what instagram filter is that" hahaha whether or not that was a joke that's the first thing I though of...
                        The only things I changed were the color balance, clarity, exposure, contrast (etc.) I didn't clean up the grain. I'd have to agree with you with Nikon's though. It takes a little bit of tweaking to make them look good IMO. But here are the original raw files. Very plain

'90 Alpine White M3
                        OEM Hella Smoked Euro Smileys | OEM Headlamp Washers | Startec Tail Lights |
                        EVO III Undertray | EVO III Front Lip | '92 DTM CF Gurney Flap | Recaro N'Joys |
                        Ground Control Coilovers | OZ Futuras

DD: '97 Alpine White M3/4/5

Comment

Essential heavy hitters sticker, nice!

Once you have the composition in camera it's all about post.

Nice work & keep it up!
                          À la folie

Comment

Damn, too sexy. Nice shots!

Comment

Originally posted by SteadyAim. View Post

Thanks for posting the originals! ^^^ Is the one that I really wanted to see. That alone is a great shot, but it leaves sooooo much room to make it look good in PP. I really miss having cs3 :( I have been with out PP software for three or four years now and I miss it! Definitely appreciate having a taken a film class and getting to use the dark room; it really helped out with learning how to save images or really make the good ones pop!

Originally posted by 6SPD View Post

Once you have the composition in camera it's all about post.

That couldn't be further from the truth... Unless you are a "digital painter" or whatever they call it. You know those unreal photos that are just too good to be true. (Not HDR though, that is something totally different...)
                              sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Working...
                              X