No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet. Look at all those boxes! That's a bit daunting.

Comment

New Sworks Tarmac Torch I just built with etap! The bike changes color at 72F from bright orange to bright yellow. This is when it's started to turn. Going to get close to 100miles in the saddle tomorrow"|
      Attached Files
      Build Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
      Parts Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

^^^ Ooh, nice :)

What are your favorite rides out in that area? I visit my parents out there a couple times a year.

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
          ^^^ Ooh, nice :)

What are your favorite rides out in that area? I visit my parents out there a couple times a year.
          I'm by the foothills area, so generally I spent time in deer creek on high grade, out and back is 48 miles to high grade and about 2800 ascent. The "city view loop in deer creek is a great ride. Other climbs I enjoy are lookout mountain and around conifer and then in evergreen withers gulch and mt Evans. Also lately I've done a fair amount of endurance mountain biking in evergreen and it's a great place for that. also when I do rides on my TT bike I usually stick around chatfield. Lots of great places to ride. I definitely want to drive somewhere I've never ridden this summer and get lost. That is once I get the damn cylinder head buttoned up on my e30!
          Build Thread
          Parts Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
            I'm by the foothills area, so generally I spent time in deer creek on high grade, out and back is 48 miles to high grade and about 2800 ascent. The "city view loop in deer creek is a great ride. Other climbs I enjoy are lookout mountain and around conifer and then in evergreen withers gulch and mt Evans. Also lately I've done a fair amount of endurance mountain biking in evergreen and it's a great place for that. also when I do rides on my TT bike I usually stick around chatfield. Lots of great places to ride. I definitely want to drive somewhere I've never ridden this summer and get lost. That is once I get the damn cylinder head buttoned up on my e30!
            Oh cool. Heard about Deer Creek and Lookout for sure and they're definitely on my to-do list (along with Mt Evans). Are you on Strava? I'll give you another follow if so :)

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
              Oh cool. Heard about Deer Creek and Lookout for sure and they're definitely on my to-do list (along with Mt Evans). Are you on Strava? I'll give you another follow if so :)
              Yeah I'm on Strava, I need to update my garmin so I can upload my rides but it hasn't been a priority as of lately. I'm working on the e30, head is going to a machine shop and the transmission and transfer case are both coming out for reseal, clutch/ 8lb flywheel, short shifter/ dssr. I should probably start a build thread. Should do a lot of things...
              Build Thread
              Parts Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                New Sworks Tarmac Torch I just built with etap! The bike changes color at 72F from bright orange to bright yellow. This is when it's started to turn. Going to get close to 100miles in the saddle tomorrow"|
                What trays are those? I am still using Coors Classic trays to date how old my rack is.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

FBM Steadfast

Truckee Dirt Park by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Inglis 26" single speed MTB

Willowdale State Forest MTB by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Ibis Silk SL

Ibis Silk SL by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Cannondale CAAD4 Saeco (new commuting project)

Cannondale CAAD4 by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
                  "Modern cars, they all look like electric shavers."
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonthemotorway/sets/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                    What trays are those? I am still using Coors Classic trays to date how old my rack is.
                    Haha, they are called the Euro pitchfork made by Rockymounts. Plenty of colors to choose from.
                    Build Thread
                    Parts Thread

Comment

thanks need spme trays for another car.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

So I need some advice... I'd really like to get back into mountain biking. I'm interested in regular old trails, some pavement stuff, and mild downhill stuff (I have never really done it so I'm not sure how to correctly describe it). I'd like to keep it between $1000-1500 for a Craigslist bike. Any recommendations for bikes to look into?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          So I need some advice... I'd really like to get back into mountain biking. I'm interested in regular old trails, some pavement stuff, and mild downhill stuff (I have never really done it so I'm not sure how to correctly describe it). I'd like to keep it between $1000-1500 for a Craigslist bike. Any recommendations for bikes to look into?

I build my Cannondale for less than $1k. And it's got some pretty sweet stuff. Find a frame you like and build one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                            It sounds like you're looking for a cross-country, all-around bike. Up, down, rocks, trails, roads. They go downhill plenty fast for an all around rider with good technique.

I'd strongly push a hardtail bike. No reason to haul all that hardware up steep hills all the time for a bit of suspension cush. When they race bikes, they race hardtail XC bikes. There are hardtail bikes now down into the low 20 lb range, close to road bikes, which is kind of amazing. Nice when going UP.

Similar to used cars - a reputable name frame builder, good components, light wheels, non-abused by a seller who took care of it.

If the frame is great, you can always update components easily.

Look at 29" wheels for easier rolling, also 27.5. But absolutely nothing wrong with standard 26".

Don't be fooled by cool graphics (I always am...), research quality.

Just some random names I'm familiar with - Yeti, Kona, Ibis, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, the former Gary Fisher (RIP - I have the last good steel Fisher), Jamis, seven, Ritchey, Moots......there's a million others. I don't like Trek as a corporation in collusion with L Armstrong. Also, they're like the General Motors of bikes.

Look into which are the good local bike shops, go in, ask some questions, see what's what. They sometimes have a classifieds bulletin board or consignment bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              It sounds like you're looking for a cross-country, all-around bike. Up, down, rocks, trails, roads. They go downhill plenty fast for an all around rider with good technique.

I'd strongly push a hardtail bike. No reason to haul all that hardware up steep hills all the time for a bit of suspension cush. When they race bikes, they race hardtail XC bikes. There are hardtail bikes now down into the low 20 lb range, close to road bikes, which is kind of amazing. Nice when going UP.

Similar to used cars - a reputable name frame builder, good components, light wheels, non-abused by a seller who took care of it.

If the frame is great, you can always update components easily.

Look at 29" wheels for easier rolling, also 27.5. But absolutely nothing wrong with standard 26".

Don't be fooled by cool graphics (I always am...), research quality.

Just some random names I'm familiar with - Yeti, Kona, Ibis, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, the former Gary Fisher (RIP - I have the last good steel Fisher), Jamis, seven, Ritchey, Moots......there's a million others. I don't like Trek as a corporation in collusion with L Armstrong. Also, they're like the General Motors of bikes.

Look into which are the good local bike shops, go in, ask some questions, see what's what. They sometimes have a classifieds bulletin board or consignment bikes.
                              Hmm I was originally looking around for a full suspension bike but I'll start considering a hardtail again. The last mountain bike I had was a Specialized hardtail. The last mountain bike I rode was my dad's hardtail 29er. I can't say I was much of a fan of the 29" wheels. They didn't seem as maneuverable. 650b sounds like a sweet spot but it's hard to find them used, as far as I've seen.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Yeah, I'm addicted.

Comment

Working...
                                X