Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional thermostat recall - the missing heater hose...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional thermostat recall - the missing heater hose...

As well all know, there was a recall that added a second thermostat to the cooling system In order to eliminate a rare problem where during an overheat, a coolant hose would burst above the drivers legs sending scalding water onto their legs.

here is the realoem parts diagram of the additional thermostat

You will notice there are only 3 hoses listed: block to new thermostat, new thermostat to T-piece, new thermostat to firewall.

Here is the realoem parts diagram for the cooling system hoses

Notice part number 13 - the 3 way heater hose that connects to the new thermostat t piece

Here's the problem. They don't actually have a modified 3 way hose (unless it's
    Unlisted) that is shorter, nor do they have an extra hose that goes between the T piece and the firewall heater outlet. Instead, when you buy the 3 way hose, you are supposed to actually cut off where the 'T' piece goes and then simply add in the T.

My problem is that I was unaware of this back when I first got my e30 and did a minor coolant hose overhaul. I replaced everything except the stuff hidden under the rear of the intake mani: the new thermostat hoses or the rear throttle body heater hose that goes to the back of the block.

So naturally, I cut my 3 way hose becasue it was for some reason (the thermostat recall unbeknownst to me at the time) way too long. Then I threw out that extra hose.

I know have the intake mani off and it's time to resolve the old hoses. I have all the ones listed on realoem for the new thermostat but obviously don't have the extra piece you are supposed to create yourself from the3 way hose.

Instead I picked up some 19mm heater hose (appears to be the same diameter) that is rated as 1.68 BAR.

My question is can I use this 1.68 BAR heater hose or is that pressure rating too low? Additionally, is tjere actually a part number for this length or are ou legit supposed to cut it out of a new 3 way?

Quite a long winded post but I didn't want to have to explain more stufff afterwards.

Well. I definitely am curious if a part number exists for this hose. This heater hose I got to sub in will not suffice as the needed bend will kink the hose

Comment

I don't think there is a different part number. IIRC they just cut the hose and put the safety valve in the middle
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I don't think there is a different part number. IIRC they just cut the hose and put the safety valve in the middle

This.

I actually eliminate them. Who knows if it's true, but rumor is that MB had a lawsuit for a leaky core and BMW did the recall as precaution.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          This.

I actually eliminate them. Who knows if it's true, but rumor is that MB had a lawsuit for a leaky core and BMW did the recall as precaution.
          I see. Isn't there pretty concrete documentation on why they issued this recall?
          I'm definitely going to be keeping it as it's a safety concern. Found some somewhat similar bending hoses at Salvo Auto Parts. Ill pick that up and cut it as needed for that extra piece.

Feels good to have fresh rubber legit everywhere under the hood!

Comment

I installed a lot of those cover-your-ass solutions. The original SIB said to cut the hose. The best thing to do is to keep your cooling system in good condition, and not install that mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck C View Post
              I installed a lot of those cover-your-ass solutions. The original SIB said to cut the hose. The best thing to do is to keep your cooling system in good condition, and not install that mess.
              I agree!
              And keep an eye on the temp gauge.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i think the whole thing is silly, if the pressure gets too high, the cap should let it out, if the temp is too high for the plastic heater core inlet hoses, youve probably trashed your head. im removing mine next time i have to play with my cooling system,
                also, on a related note, anyone think that thermostat could be the reason i only have heat when i have the temp knob 90 percent of the way to hot? or is this just an e30 thing?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
                  i think the whole thing is silly, if the pressure gets too high, the cap should let it out, if the temp is too high for the plastic heater core inlet hoses, youve probably trashed your head. im removing mine next time i have to play with my cooling system,
                  also, on a related note, anyone think that thermostat could be the reason i only have heat when i have the temp knob 90 percent of the way to hot? or is this just an e30 thing?
                  i find if you turn the temp from full cold full hot then back it off to 12 o'clock it works better than turning it from full cold to 12 oclock for example
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    i find if you turn the temp from full cold full hot then back it off to 12 o'clock it works better than turning it from full cold to 12 oclock for example
                    Lol yeah i concur, but still, modern cars will literally burn you out of the car, my sisters 99 jeep will burn you out of the car, imma try removing it

Comment

How do we know if our car has this nonsense?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

drivers side between the head and the firewall, if you have one ittl be a mess of hoses

Comment

Seems there is one coming from the back of the engine, One from the side near the back and the one to the heater core. It has a 5/'92 build date.

I ran the part number through realoem on my VIN and the parts come up. Frequently parts that are not associated with my VIN say no parts apply to this VIN.

Thanks

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
                            or is this just an e30 thing?
                            I think it's an e30 thing. One of my daily drivers would want the A/C vent slider at 70% to blow out of the vent,t he other one I would have to wiggle the slider to make it work...
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                            X