Goodbye to Holly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Damn, you are lucky to have walked away. The car was pretty clean but replaceable. You really need to determine the cause to make sure nothing like this happens again. It would also benefit the community to know exactly what failed.

X2

I've asked about what his braking setup was with the swapped motor because I'm curious and think it's information that we could all benefit from
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Your car is on Jalopnik

Comment

I have a slicktop that id contemplate selling. Has minor rust in battery box, and on the pass side corner from a shop jacking it there but its all totally fixeable. If interested pm me.

Comment

Glad you are okay and I hope you both recover quickly. Yes, we get attached to cars but they can be replaced. You cannot.
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            X2

I've asked about what his braking setup was with the swapped motor because I'm curious and think it's information that we could all benefit from

I had a UUC BBK
            New Rotors Front
            New DTC 60 Pads Front
            New Rotors Rear
            New DTC 70 Rear Pads
            Stainless Steal Brake Lines
            and Fresh RBF600

After being under the car for the first time last night I couldn't find any blown lines or ruptures. I did notice the pass caliper looked like it may have a had a small amount of fluid leak from it. Brake res was still in the middle with fresh fluid. So either I blew a piston or maybe something internal like mc.

That being said, I really appreciate everyone's support.
            Last edited by GThomas; 05-25-2017, 04:40 AM.
            sigpic
            1991 318is S52
            1987 325i Vert
            1991 325i
            2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

How are you feeling? Any lingering soreness still?

As for the brakes... Does the car have pedal pressure now? Take a good look at the interface between caliper and pads, then pads and rotor. If you only had a momentary lack of pressure, it sounds like it would be a knock-back type situation. Obviously, you aren't hitting any big curbs before the incident, so it doesn't look like your typical instance of knock-back, but perhaps there is something else going on to cause a similar condition. Didn't UUC have some weird issues with rattle clips or something on those kits? Do the pads look like they're worn unevenly or on the edges from rubbing?
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                How are you feeling? Any lingering soreness still?

As for the brakes... Does the car have pedal pressure now? Take a good look at the interface between caliper and pads, then pads and rotor. If you only had a momentary lack of pressure, it sounds like it would be a knock-back type situation. Obviously, you aren't hitting any big curbs before the incident, so it doesn't look like your typical instance of knock-back, but perhaps there is something else going on to cause a similar condition. Didn't UUC have some weird issues with rattle clips or something on those kits? Do the pads look like they're worn unevenly or on the edges from rubbing?
                It felt like it had pressure when i tried to push it down from inside the other night, but the pedal assembly is so jammed up its hard to tell. As for me, my ankle still hurts a bit if I put pressure on certain odd angles but its getting better. I got 5 stitches in my chin from the helmet strap but that is healing good. Over all I feel okay considering everything.
                Last edited by GThomas; 05-25-2017, 05:56 AM.
                sigpic
                1991 318is S52
                1987 325i Vert
                1991 325i
                2011 e70 X5

Comment

That's really scary. I was considering the UUC kit but maybe not now...

Comment

What booster and master cylinder were used?

Btw I hope you don't feel like we're drilling you. I think we're just concerned since many people have swapped cars and we're hoping this incident will bring out some information that will prevent this from happening again.

How's the search going for the next car? Are you taking a break before you get "back on the saddle"
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

At first I thought this was a spam title, but a few pages long and now I see why.....
                      Glad you survived, I'm so sorry your car did not :(

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        What booster and master cylinder were used?

Btw I hope you don't feel like we're drilling you. I think we're just concerned since many people have swapped cars and we're hoping this incident will bring out some information that will prevent this from happening again.

How's the search going for the next car? Are you taking a break before you get "back on the saddle"
                        2002 / ix I believe.

Looking for another car currently.
                        Last edited by GThomas; 05-25-2017, 09:47 AM.
                        sigpic
                        1991 318is S52
                        1987 325i Vert
                        1991 325i
                        2011 e70 X5

Comment

Ouch, just saw this in Jalopnik - that was a hard hit, all things considered, the E30 held up pretty well for a triple digit crash.

Glad you weren't seriously injured! I can see how having a faster, engine swapped E30 on a track, having a full cage is maybe a must have these days.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

damn man glad your okay. I hope you get everything worked out.
                            1990 325i M52 swapped!

Comment

I'm really curious about the rollbar. That's a bolt in bar and it looks like it stayed put pretty well. Was that particular model bolted to the rear wheel wells as well as the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by GThomas View Post
                                I did not have a hans device, but I will next time and that is for sure. I will also have door bars and full cage next time. My Helmet strap took a chunk out of my chin, not super painful but I did need 6 stitches. Where my clutch pedal was is completely buckled over. I sprained my ankle, but if I had not moved it I may have lost my foot. I was very lucky this time..
                                That is pretty lucky... 10 more mph, hit at a different angle, who knows...

So that was a rear roll bar / 4-point set-up in there? I'm curious how much better it would have been with a full cage. Would the front bars have helped where the passenger compartment is starting to fail and collapse? Those are pretty unnerving photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X