Exhaust mounting point after 5spd swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust mounting point after 5spd swap

Can someone take a shot under their 325 where the exhaust mounts just before the cat?

I just did a 5spd swap, and i'm trying to figure out what i'm missing to correctly mount the mid section of the exhaust.

I'm not sure if i'm missing a bracket, or what, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The bracket that hangs off the exhaust and bolts to the trans is in a different location on manual/autos. You will have to make something, use a donor bracket welded on, or just leave it.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So basically this bracket mounts to transmission

And l need to move the mounting plate/fab one up to mount to this bracket right?

Comment

I think we skipped the bracket when we did my swap. No ill effects...yet
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

You should be able to bolt that bracket directly onto the transmission. This is from an e36 (couldn't find a good e30 angle), but it's the same mounting.

P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
            You should be able to bolt that bracket directly onto the transmission. This is from an e36 (couldn't find a good e30 angle), but it's the same mounting.
            The bracket welded to the exhaust is in a different spot all together. The auto is longer than the manuals.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Manual trans exhaust bracket

This is a photo after swap. I wasn't sure how it all mounted and probably did it wrong.
              Last edited by Campbelljj; 06-01-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

That looks correct. The auto cross brace uses the rearmost slots in the car body. The manual exhaust has a triangular brace welded to it that bolts right to that bracket in your pic. Since the auto is longer, the brace welded to your exhaust is too far rearward to use.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

When I did mine I just cut the auto mounting tab on the exhaust off, trimmed it a bit and had someone weld it further up to coincide with this bolt hole:

1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                  1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                  E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Been running my exhaust without that mounting for about 5 years and nothing bad has happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X