Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Blue Nose" M62b44 swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post

Burly as F man

Comment

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
      Burly as F man

Thanks! Sounds a bit more tame with the actual exhaust on it, but I'm planning to run side pipes right after the o2 sensors. Just haven't gotten around to figuring out where to hang it & to avoid burning the skirts.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Always wanted an E31, but their ratio of cool to price got outrageous. It looks incredible on the mpars!
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          Always wanted an E31, but their ratio of cool to price got outrageous. It looks incredible on the mpars!

Totally agree, that's why when I came across this one & saw the person wanted to trade for an e36/39 I jumped on it. It just was something I couldn't pass up.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

I think my cars been on jackstands more than its ever seen the ground sadly. Finally got my paws on a stock carrier / shifter. Seller told me it was supposed to be a z3 then was like "oh actually its stock" bit disappointing but whatever. Chopped and sectioned it, then decided to use some 1/4" flat bar to reinforce it. I gave it a couple hammer bangs but would rather have it stronger. Getting tired of dropping the mid section of the exhaust & driveshaft. Also had to cut the shift selector another 1/4" to accommodate the stock one.

I've never welded aluminum so gotta say, way bigger fan of using stainless than ally. Even with 4043 it was hard. Also probably didnt help that the carriers very porous & grimey even after cleaning the shitt outta it. Obviously not a welder but fuggit I made it work the best that I could. Its ugly as shit, but theres no clearance issues with it surprisingly. Gets a tad bit close to the guibo but enough room not to create issues. Wish I had taken a photo of when I first got the shifter from my buddy, thing was BLACK as we all know how it gets... here's the beauty after some dawn, purp power, more dawn, more purp power, acetone.........

Also got this sweet 6 Spd ZHP for $70 shipped since I don't have any knobs. Wish I had kept the 5 spd one from the e36 but meh.

Side note : How come noone changes the cabin air filters lol. Every car I've had these things are always grimey and typically so easy to get to. Guess I should probably create a build thread for the 8 soon too once I have more funds set aside for the beast. Weighing in at almost 4,200 lbs I think it'll need a heart transplant soon even though its only clocking 152k

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Twin turbo the E31
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Twin turbo the E31

Jesus I wish, atleast theres more room for it than in the e30 haha. I'm most likely going to go with an S swap. As much as I'd like to 6 spd it, and granted it would probably add to the value. I'm sticking to keeping it autotragic for a nice cruiser. Just need to find a decent donor car. Would like to take it up north on a trip and hit big sur & etc. Not expecting a racecar, nor do I want it to be one necessarily.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

I'm most likely going to go with an S swap. As much as I'd like to 6 spd it, and granted it would probably add to the value. I'm sticking to keeping it autotragic for a nice cruiser.
                  What S motor are you planning to go with if you are trying to keep it autotragic?
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Wow...amazing build...one of the reasons to join this forum...

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                      What S motor are you planning to go with if you are trying to keep it autotragic?
                      S62 would be easier to get, obv not auto. After driving a deliv job for 3 yrs in stop & go traffic i've gotten tired of sitting 1-2-N-1-N in LA traffic. Happy I don't have that job anymore but it did put a strain on my knee after a while from past injuries.

Ultimately an S65 w/DCT would be nice, hard to find. From my understanding it would cost 2-3k more on the sticker price so unsure the possibility. Hell if it doesn't pan out, can always buy another civic

Originally posted by Olie92 View Post
                      Wow...amazing build...one of the reasons to join this forum...
                      Thank you sir

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

I think a S62 SMG could be possible. You can mount a V8 bell housing to a S54 transmission and I think I read somewhere it might be possible to run a S62 off of a S54 DME. Who knows, the S62 DME might have the SMG coding or what ever all ready in there.
                        My Garage
                        Feedback

Comment

Also got this sweet 6 Spd ZHP for $70 shipped since I don't have any knobs. Wish I had kept the 5 spd one from the e36 but meh.
                          Too bad we dom't live closer to each other. I have a 5-speed ZHP knob and I'm updating to six speed gear box.
                          E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            I think a S62 SMG could be possible. You can mount a V8 bell housing to a S54 transmission and I think I read somewhere it might be possible to run a S62 off of a S54 DME. Who knows, the S62 DME might have the SMG coding or what ever all ready in there.
                            Be interesting to see how it runs with an s54 dme, I'd assume it would need a reflash but maybe not?

Ultimately I'd opt to find a rear ended donor car this time around just to have everything complete. After doing all this, it would have been easier to pick up an e34 540/6 and clap my hands free of dust. Lesson learned though, piece by piece has been cool but tedious haha.

Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
                            Too bad we dom't live closer to each other. I have a 5-speed ZHP knob and I'm updating to six speed gear box.
                            No worries I appreciate that though! I went through your build very cool and a ton of good work. Love the attention to detail even down to moving the seat back & e36 rears. Interested to see how those bottle caps will turn out too those are badass man, def sub'd to it.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Took it for a drive up the street for the first time to fill up the tank. Have two minor issues that need to be worked out, hoping its just from the 5mo+ old gas thats been in the tank. Hooked up the front signals, just need to wire the reverse lights up and re-bleed the slave and it should be solid.

Also chopped up the hood I cut out a while back, got tired of looking at it & moving it. Figured id make a radiator panel out of it, just need to gather some paint. Patched up the back side of it with some scrap 22 ga I had laying around. Probably would have welded better if I cleaned the inside of it a bit better but its all good. No filler @ 30 amp, just kind of messing around and practicing with what I have laying around.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Congrats on the first drive! It looks like two cirrus blue coupes saw the road for the first time today in months.
                                My Garage
                                Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X