No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son was home for the weekend so we did some maintenance and oil change. 8 qts of oil, tiny filter. Factory skid plates are pretty beefy - all has to come off to get to the pan. Alum pan has a really deep sump center section that hangs below the rest of the pan. That must be how they make sure it never sucks air even when it's tipped way over or climbing. Oil filter mount has a finned oil cooler built in.

Pretty clean and leak-free up there for 145,000mi.

This is rock height I think. You can just leave it like that and it will stay, until you drive off and hit 25, then it beeps and drops you to highway height. There's apparently an emergency extra height trick, if you get high centered you can lift yourself off the rock temporarily.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	7190607

Seller swapped 19s for 18s.

Name:	IMG_0615 copy.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	7190608

Name:	IMG_0616 copy.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	7190609

Headlights do a funny bug-eye wobble thing like R2D2 when he starts it up - self leveling I guess. They also turn with the front wheels - whoa...

Name:	IMG_0617 copy.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	7190610

Comment

Looking good!

I have my DII LE for sale on craiglist right now and I got a trade offer for an LR3 the other day. I didn't really consider it at the time, because my whole purpose for selling the DII is to buy something more highway-worthy that can also tow my trailer/racecar when needed. Come to find out the LR3 towing capacity is 7700 lbs, which is over 1500 lbs more than the X5 4.6is that I am planning to buy... Surprising! How are the road manners in that thing compared to the Discovery?

Edit- Just looked up the Discovery towing capacity, and it is apparently also 7700 lbs... I know how terrible my DII felt towing 5,000 lbs, so not as confident in that 7700 lb # on the LR3 now
      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

They are heavy, and tow rating is pretty high as you say.

Without trailer you're going to get 15-20mpg likely. He's seen above 20 if careful and smooth and not 75.

It drives really well - smooth and taut compared to earlier Discoveries. I thought the RRC and the D1 really wallowed a lot, but that was soft springs / long travel to go anywhere off road. His D1 had Old Man Emu springs and was much stiffer. This is even better, but still rides really nice. Seats are nice.

He could only afford it because it had 145k and was kinda dirty from the desert. But the seller was an ex-Porsche tech and took care of it.

<EDIT>
        Get the V8, not the V6 - way more power and about the same mileage. Check all the electronics. Check the air suspension and leveling and will it hold when left overnight. Pinion bearings / diffs were a weak point - all that weight to accelerate. Front control arm bushings are a weak point. Electric parking brake is a weak point. Plastic thermostat housing should be replaced. Weak plastic fitting between two lengths of coolant house should be changed to brass. That plastic cowling at the base of the windshield can warp and let water into the cabin air filter.

"Look for uneven tire wear. This could point to wheel alignment issues or problems with the air suspension, especially if said tire wear is accompanied by the vehicle sitting unevenly on its springs. There may be some leaks in the system. Bushings will need replacing after 75,000 miles, and it could be a good idea to replace the front lower control arms as well. At around 40,000 miles, there may be some steering play from worn front tie-rod arms."
        "The Terrain Response System is a clever piece of technology but also a complex one. It’s worth giving the electrics a thorough going-over, from the battery to the parking sensors and all points in between. A vehicle this recent should also have a complete record of service and maintenance, along with both keys. Don’t forget to carry out the normal checks as well, such as lights, brakes, etc."
        Last edited by LateFan; 05-01-2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          Son was home for the weekend so we did some maintenance and oil change. 8 qts of oil, tiny filter. Factory skid plates are pretty beefy - all has to come off to get to the pan. Alum pan has a really deep sump center section that hangs below the rest of the pan. That must be how they make sure it never sucks air even when it's tipped way over or climbing. Oil filter mount has a finned oil cooler built in.

Pretty clean and leak-free up there for 145,000mi.

This is rock height I think. You can just leave it like that and it will stay, until you drive off and hit 25, then it beeps and drops you to highway height. There's apparently an emergency extra height trick, if you get high centered you can lift yourself off the rock temporarily.
          [ATTACH]114021[/ATTACH]

Seller swapped 19s for 18s.
          [ATTACH]114022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]114023[/ATTACH]

Headlights do a funny bug-eye wobble thing like R2D2 when he starts it up - self leveling I guess. They also turn with the front wheels - whoa...
          [ATTACH]114024[/ATTACH]
          Nice LR3!

I went from Disco2 to an LR4 and the cars are light years different.

If you love boxy e30s, you love boxy LRs, apparently.
          PNW Crew
          90 m3
          06 m5

Comment

It's May......

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	7190846

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
              Man, I might pick up a P38....
              What happened? Now that that badass wagon runs so well, you prolly don't need one!

Comment

It's May......

[ATTACH]114384[/ATTACH]
                I have seen that in mid june a bit north of you a time or 2
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

That was Bozeman a couple of weeks ago. Nutty. My other son rode his bike up the pass in Glacier yesterday - still closed to cars. You can get up to Triple Arches where the snow equipment is parked. Spectacular pictures and blue sky.

Comment

in the fall time the wife and I have had the pass to ourselves after a little snow shut the road down from big bend, so we hoofed it the 3 or so miles up there late in the evening to watch the sunset. its a very special experience to have that pass ALL TO YOUR SELF (when your not a member of the chosen that is) , one I will cherish all the way to the grave. .
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Yep, one of the best places in the world. We were up near Two Medicine one fall when the first snow started coming down. Like a literal changing of seasons while you watched.

Once we hiked to Sperry early in the season. Bridges still out to the glacier. Then they said, no we just put them back in this morning. So up we went, first few people. Those streams were raging! Half the trail covered in snow fields, pink algae on the snow. Had to chop a slot to get to that rock stair up through the cliff. Hairy going, but what a magical place. Doesn't seem real when you're up there, no sense of scale or distances. When you're on that massive snow field below the glacier, there are loud streams running under you beneath the snow.....who knows how thick it is?!
                      Last edited by LateFan; 05-29-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

slammin'.......?

Learn more about M3-Powered Rally Build: Land Rover Discovery on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

Name:	s-l1600-3-1-620x465.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	7191134

Comment

Man, I was wondering how that was setup when I saw that video! badass!
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and welcome myself to the 'club'.... this also goes down as the first truck/SUV thing I've ever owned.

Bought in Denver and drove back the 1400 miles to Cleveland (Left Friday, got back Sunday around 3pm). '02, 150k miles. Came with Magnaflow exhaust installed and upgraded w/ Arnott air springs and some fancy Nitto tires. Also the roof rack, a full set of OEM wheels w/ studded snows, and a service manual and many service records.

Will update w/ more pics once I scrape the coating of bugs off the front

-Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                            '95 525iT
                            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                            '98 Disco 1

Comment

Well, it's been almost a month, has it caught on fire yet?!

JK!

Comment

Well, it's been almost a month, has it caught on fire yet?!

JK!
                                ...but really......everything okay....??
                                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                                X