Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brilliantrot oxidized paint, wet sand or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you use as a cut?

I have rubbing compound i used and it just didnt get enough dead clear off I need to actualy sand it.

the rubibing compound will literally take the paint off around the clear before the clear on top.

my single stage zinno panels are all from another car, and they look great and shiny. Just garaged is all it is.

my dual stage areas all look terrible as the clear is bad, and the paint underneath isnt really the same color.

I could do a panel by panel pictorial showing how the paint ages. when the 2 stage paint is new its the same color as the 1 stage oem paint. But as it ages it becomes orange, as the one stage ages it becomes pink

This is a combination of the yellow clear coat and the dark primer. Not everyones bad respray will look like mine but I have a feeling all 2 stage paint jobs fade differently than 1 stage.

So a concept like my car its impossible to match the different panels even though they are all zinno.
    Last edited by stamar; 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I am still struggling with removing clear. I have clear coat ready to go on but im afraid ill ruin the base paint.

I feel like the safest way is to use a corner of the sanding block. I just wish there was a chemical that dissolved clear more than paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
        Brillantrot isn't clear coated.

But if you have like zinno that is cleared, I'd sand off all the clear (wet sand 1000-1500 grit) on the given panel and then either polish the color coat until it's acceptable to rattle can some new clear on.

Im doing this right now on a whole panel, and the results are awesome on the areas without clear already.

the remove the clearcoat with 1000 wet sand part isnt working 100%. Ive taken a lot off.

the clear is off already in holes and every time i sand i take off the soft pain underneat the clear more than just the clear.

the clear is a tough hard paint and the base coat is soft so it sands right off. I have to physically miss it.

It feels like I need a really small orbital sander because a sanding block is too big

Im going to take a picture and ask for advice because I cant go on from here Im already looking at spots of bare metal.

If I cant keep the paint underneath fuck sanding ill just use paint stripper and start at 0.

I believe actually sunlight would eventually corrode it all off a little at a time in a year or so.

Comment

I have a zinno car that was half painted/cleared and half not. don't ask me what the heck the previous owner was thinking. I think if you sand the zinno enamel paint down to a smooth finish. you can do one of two things. You can either respray it fresh with zinno and the clear it. Or if there is enough base left -after water sanding, spray the clear on. throw a couple coats on and then let cure in the hot sun for a couple days. Then water sand to get any orange peel out and then cut/polish. it will astonish you. :-)
          sigpic

Comment

If anyone finds this thread and is still searching for paint, paintscratch.com has fantastic diamond schwarz and made my repaint easy and quality, they even included a free quart of primer.

Comment

Working...
            X