Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a fuel line be left off the fuel filter overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a fuel line be left off the fuel filter overnight?

Long story short, is it okay to leave the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel filter not entirely connected just for maybe 12 hours or so?

Long story not short, I waited until it started to get dark to change my fuel filter since I just got my E30 a few days ago. I take some pliers and pull off the hose that connects from the gas tank to the filter, some gas slips out, normal. Then I completely forget to take the filter off the bracket next, and instead take off the other line that connects to the engine. Gas starts pouring out and I put the line back on, but there's already a considerable amount on the ground, so much I don't really wanna get near it by being under the car. I popped the line back on so it wasn't dangling but it's barely connected to the nipple on the fuel filter. Guess I have to wait until tomorrow to take the filter off the bracket anyway, but I just hope I don't damage anything by it being disconnected for that long.
    Slam chicks not cars

Owner of a wannabe m3

That or clamp it with a vice grips to make sure it doesn't pour out. Evaporating gas in a concentrated area is more dangerous than closed up in a tank. Just hope somebody doesn't flick a cig by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      That or clamp it with a vice grips to make sure it doesn't pour out. Evaporating gas in a concentrated area is more dangerous than closed up in a tank. Just hope somebody doesn't flick a cig by accident.
      I know...I'm super worried because I live in a development with tons of other people. Granted, most of them are old and I haven't seen any walking around smoking since I've lived here, but you never know. The fuel shouldn't continue to go from the tank to the line if the engine is off and its disconnected, right? There's no pressure
      Slam chicks not cars

Owner of a wannabe m3

Comment

Air temperature changes can have an effect on the pressure inside the tank though that can force fluid out.

I reckon put a bolt with a clamp in any loose rubber fuel lines, crack the fuel cap to let the air equalize, do the cap back up again and you are about as safe as it can be.

Comment

Actually you're better off plugging the vent in the cap or just putting a plastic bag over the filler then putting the cap back. Less fuel can leak since air can't get in to replace it.

Best to plug the lines of course.
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            Air temperature changes can have an effect on the pressure inside the tank though that can force fluid out.

I reckon put a bolt with a clamp in any loose rubber fuel lines, crack the fuel cap to let the air equalize, do the cap back up again and you are about as safe as it can be.
            Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
            Actually you're better off plugging the vent in the cap or just putting a plastic bag over the filler then putting the cap back. Less fuel can leak since air can't get in to replace it.

Best to plug the lines of course.
            I went back out and pushed the line on some more. Opened the cap for a few seconds, and put it back on. Clamped the line before too. I think the spill is gonna take a while to evaporate because it's been pretty humid down here, and probably will be tomorrow. :?
            Slam chicks not cars

Owner of a wannabe m3

Comment

If you are really worried get the hose out and put water on the petrol. sure not ideal, or environmentally friendly, but better than a pool of flamable liquid under the car over night....

Comment

Working...
              X