Oil Pressure Light on E30 S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post

When you say that your oil light is on, is it on even if you rev it up a little bit passed idle? Even mine flickers when the engine is warm at idle. I believe thats just because the original m20 and the s52 operate at different pressure when at idle.
    There is not set limit or programmed value for oil pressure in e30 itself. The sensor in oil filter housing is just a switch, that activates at certain oil pressure and lights up the oil pressure warning. It's not oil pressure sensor that can sense different pressures. So if you guys use the oil pressure sensor that came with the engine, and not one from m20. It will trigger at correct oil pressure. If your oil pressure light is flickering, you have too low oil pressure (or the sensor itself is broken).

Comment

Running it for a few mins won't get the oil up to temp enough to really be able to bleed off the lifters. I recently cleaned my lifters (pain in the ass btw) and bled them before installing. The car was all clickty clack until I drove it around and let the oil get hot. By the time I got home, probably a 20 min drive, it was normal.

Also, I thought that while 5psi idle is low, it's not world ending. I always thought as long as you have some pressure at idle it's ok. It's far more important to have the right pressure increase with rpm.

Did you up the oil viscosity and test again?

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      We run Liqui Moly 10w60 in them (comparable to the later OE Catrol).
      Glad to hear that, I just went up to the 10w60 liqui moly as well since I still get a bit of lifter tick after thrashing the car at autox.
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
        There is not set limit or programmed value for oil pressure in e30 itself. The sensor in oil filter housing is just a switch, that activates at certain oil pressure and lights up the oil pressure warning. It's not oil pressure sensor that can sense different pressures. So if you guys use the oil pressure sensor that came with the engine, and not one from m20. It will trigger at correct oil pressure. If your oil pressure light is flickering, you have too low oil pressure (or the sensor itself is broken).
        Yes I still use the s52 sensor. The light never came on in the e36 while it was running (the light was a functional light lol)
        PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

SOLVED

The engine block was disassembled and the S52 oil squirters were not in the bottom end. They're little misters that spray oil up under the pistons.

I took the crank out, but them in and buttoned the motor up again.
          REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Eeek. Who did the rebuild?

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

WOW, glad you found it. That's scary
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                Eeek. Who did the rebuild?
                A place in Toronto, Ontario. Refused to warranty their work as well. V frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                  were the oil squirters removed but not replaced?

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                  SOLVED

The engine block was disassembled and the S52 oil squirters were not in the bottom end. They're little misters that spray oil up under the pistons.

I took the crank out, but them in and buttoned the motor up again.
                  Hey, I was right! ;)
                  '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                    Hey, I was right! ;)
                    Thanks again for the help! :)

Comment

Working...
                    X