No announcement yet.

ACS Mono Wiper Fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made another bracket to support the drivers’ side of the wiper assembly.

I use some aluminum that I had in the shop but bending it created a crack.

Then I tested all of the assemblies with the stock long arm wiper blade. The colors for the different assemblies are the same as yesterdays post. You will notice that I was able to make the wiper stop in the center of the window. I can also change the docking to the passengers’ side like the original ACS cars were made.

Then I compared the sweep difference between the stock wiper arm and the ACS wiper arm. I found that you loose a little bit of area seeing that it is shorter than the ACS arm but the unit would still work for a Hartge setup which is good news. The blue tape in this picture is of the ACS wiper arm compared to the Red which is the stock wiper arm. The Mtech has a Hartge theme so I will use the stock arm on that car and use the ACS arm on the M3. As you can also see in this picture the ACS wiper arm needs a little different timing on the motor stop position than the stock wiper blade.

I made another bracket for the drivers side of the wiper assemble. After some research I found out that what I did wrong was to use the vise to bend the aluminum and your radius should be 1 to 2 times the thickness of the material so it won’t crack. So I used an old wrench that had the proper radius and made the second bracket. It worked perfect.
    ACS drilled a hole in the back lip of the gutter at the top of the firewall. Others drilled the hole in the bottom of the gutter which would be easier but would also be in an area where water gathers so I will go with the ACS design once again. I still need to drill the hole but with the bracket is fitted correctly the wiper assembly does not move however without that last bolt I am sure it would develop a rattle. So I have to drill a new hole in the body which is not my favorite thing to do. Then I timed the motor to stop the wiper blade on the passengers side put some soapy water on the windshield and did the final test. It’s hard to see in the picture but the blade stops at the rubber molding on each side of the windshield so there is no need to lengthen the spacer in the wiper assembly arm.

All I need to do now is to take out the prototype wiper arm assembly to use it as a template to fabricate another one for the M3 and then button up both cars. Hopefully I will have it installed on the M3 for the SoCal Vintage meet next month. I hope to see you guys there.

Cheers,

Jim
    sigpic

Comment

I made a bracket to support the drivers’ side of the wiper assembly.

I use some aluminum that I had in the shop but bending it created a crack.

Then I tested all of the assemblies with the stock long arm wiper blade. The colors for the different assemblies are the same as yesterdays post. You will notice that I was able to make the wiper stop in the center of the window. I can also change the docking to the passengers’ side like the original ACS cars were made.

Then I compared the sweep difference between the stock wiper arm and the ACS wiper arm. I found that you loose a little bit of area seeing that it is shorter than the ACS arm but the unit would still work for a Hartge setup which is good news. The blue tape in this picture is of the ACS wiper arm compared to the Red which is the stock wiper arm. The Mtech has a Hartge theme so I will use the stock arm on that car and use the ACS arm on the M3. As you can also see in this picture the ACS wiper arm needs a little different timing on the motor stop position than the stock wiper blade.

I made another bracket for the drivers side of the wiper assemble. After some research I found out that what I did wrong was to use the vise to bend the aluminum and your radius should be 1 to 2 times the thickness of the material so it won’t crack. So I used an old wrench that had the proper radius and made the second bracket. It worked perfect. ACS drilled a hole in the back lip of the gutter at the top of the firewall. Others drilled the hole in the bottom of the gutter which would be easier but would also be in an area where water gathers so I will go with the ACS design once again. I still need to drill the hole but with the bracket is fitted correctly the wiper assembly does not move however without that last bolt I am sure it would develop a rattle. So I have to drill a new hole in the body which is not my favorite thing to do. Then I timed the motor to stop the wiper blade on the passengers side put some soapy water on the windshield and did the final test. It’s hard to see in the picture but the blade stops at the rubber molding on each side of the windshield so there is no need to lengthen the spacer in the wiper assembly arm.

All I need to do now is to take out the prototype wiper arm assembly to use it as a template to fabricate another one for the M3 and then button up both cars. Hopefully I will have it installed on the M3 for the SoCal Vintage meet next month. I hope to see you guys there.

Cheers,

Jim
      sigpic

Comment

nice job!!! do you have a part# for the euro grill or the cap

Comment

Originally posted by prada88m3 View Post
          nice job!!! do you have a part# for the euro grill or the cap
          Thank you,

Here is a picture of the Euro air vent grill with part number, as far as the plug goes I would guess that any good hardware store would have them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Vent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	7147165

Cheers,

Jim
          sigpic

Comment

that is awesome. thanks for sharing...

Comment

Great work Jim. Can't wait to see it next week.
              sigpic
              January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkworks View Post
                that is awesome. thanks for sharing...
                Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                Great work Jim. Can't wait to see it next week.
                Thanks Robert,

It will be nice to see you and your little puppy at the SoCal Vintage event. My work has picked up so it's all I can do to get the car ready for the show. I won't have time to get the mono wiper on the M3. I will finish off the M3 once work slows back down. It will be nice to see what you have done to your car since last year.

Cheers,

Jim
                sigpic

Comment

thanks for sharing..
                  I just did it full sweep and center stop on RHD e30

so, excited after failed with RHD linkage
                  I did this rice project since March, 2014..
                  and succeed after read this thread..
                  Last edited by ngampleh; 02-04-2016, 07:06 AM.
                  [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------
                  [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                  Transaction Feedback

Comment

Did you grind or press out the pins?
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by ngampleh View Post
                      thanks for sharing..
                      I just did it full sweep and center stop on RHD e30

so, excited after failed with RHD linkage
                      I did this rice project since March, 2014..
                      and succeed after read this thread..
                      I am glad that this thread helped you get your mono-wiper setup. It's was a fun project.

Cheers,

Jim
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                        Did you grind or press out the pins?
                        no, just cut between pin and shaft
                        add 10mm then TIG weld it
                        stock length was 29.8mm, from center pin to center shaft (you can clearly see it)
                        after mod is 39.8mm
                        I use my RHD linkage/plate to increase the length
                        Last edited by ngampleh; 02-04-2016, 07:18 AM.
                        [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                        Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by IronmanE30 View Post
                          I am glad that this thread helped you get your mono-wiper setup. It's was a fun project.

Cheers,

Jim
                          honestly, I did it on RHD linkage.. full sweep and center stop
                          but, it hit the blower cover..
                          so I gave to my friend track car, cos he didnt use AC/heater

then, I imported LHD linkage and motor from US (from r3v member here)
                          installed it to RHD car..
                          PITA to installed in RHD car, lol
                          Transaction Feedback

Comment

My question remains.
                            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                              My question remains.
                              It's been a while since I looked at the pin but as I recall it has a round end on both sides so I ground off one end and used a punch to remove it.

Cheers,

Jim
                              sigpic

Comment

Pretty nice job, a mono wiper has always been on my to do list.
                                My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X