Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps bmw has data published on it

Feels pretty linear as installed in the E30 with no power assist: since the z4 is electric power assist the motor in column of z4 can adjust assist to speed

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Anyone have plans to attempt this on an airbag car?

Wanganstyle, could you post some more pics of the u joint?

Comment

Its a standard z4 u joint that I cut down in length to fit e30 chassis- its a sliding style connector.

Then it was welded up solid by a local machine shop.

Airbag no airbag car the modification is very very simple and self explanitory.

Raced at infineon this last weekend and the steering feels was much improved over the 25 yr old rack that came out: lots of angle was good to keep the car from spinning out.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post

Airbag no airbag car the modification is very very simple and self explanitory.
          well its obviously going to be different for an airbag car because the splines are completely different. The steering column would have to be cut, and non airbag splines welded on. Don't know if I am ok will all this welding in my steering column.

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
            well its obviously going to be different for an airbag car because the splines are completely different. The steering column would have to be cut, and non airbag splines welded on. Don't know if I am ok will all this welding in my steering column.
            Some better ideas:

1. Replace column with non airbag column?

2. Use different u joint on column side and rack side? Half e30 + half z4

If one is deleting the power steering then assumedly its not a street car?

This car is not street driven (ever).

Comment

2007 Z4 rack: 32 11 6 777 506
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Update-

The E46M3 rack is apparently very similar but with power assist- I installed a E46 M3 rack into my DD e36M and it directly installed with the E36 ps lines+ e36 Tie rod ends and steering knuckle; the e46M ps banjo bolts has a cool filter built into the small one.

angle increased and overall lock to lock stayed the same. It seems more linear/direct feeling as well - perhaps a little heavier feeling

I had a prior E36M3 with Z3 steering rack, I dont recall the z3 unit having as much angle as the Z4 or the E46 M3.

Any drifters have a method of measuring this?

the e30 guys needing a spline that matches a e36M can use a E46M3 rack also.

Comment

Pretty cool find dude! CAn you confirm pn on the z4 manual rack, is it 32 11 6 777 506 ? I am curious how it feels, damn.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                    Pretty cool find dude! CAn you confirm pn on the z4 manual rack, is it 32 11 6 777 506 ? I am curious how it feels, damn.
                    It feels great; you should get one.

Part number I did not care to write down for the z4 rack; all non m z4 racks seem the same.

Comment

FWIW, the 2002-2005 330i E46 has a quicker steering rack than the E46 M3. Any reason you didn't go that route?
                      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                        FWIW, the 2002-2005 330i E46 has a quicker steering rack than the E46 M3. Any reason you didn't go that route?
                        keep M car with M parts was the goal this time- I also have not tried the e46M rack yet in a e36 so I figured I would.

over time (and as I age) the very quick racks are not that appealing to me - instead I am looking for more angle to make U turns and parallel parking easier lol

the 46M rack also feels a little stiffer than the e36M did; I think a heavier steering feel is preferred as it adds a little dampening compared to light steering.

I think because the 46M rack is designed for a wide track/widebody car its settings are a bit different than the 46 non M or Z3/Z4 units- the angle is very similar (from my non drifting point of view) between the Z4 non-m (e power) and E46M (powered) racks.

Where is yoshi or one of those drift oriented guys when you need them?

Comment

update after 40 hours of racing;

its much noted in comparison to a stock de-powered rack in the SE30 the Z4 steering rack is less strain on the driver. thankfully SE30 races are short

Comment

My mechanic put the z4 rack in for me. He did not cut and weld the alloy part, he just shortened the sliding section between the two u-joints.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by russ in va View Post
                              My mechanic put the z4 rack in for me. He did not cut and weld the alloy part, he just shortened the sliding section between the two u-joints.
                              Cool report how it holds up. It has some interesting parts inside the slider we choose to omit; our car is full race only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                                Realoem confirms this part number to be correct for any non-M Z4 roadster imported to the US.

I'm really considering doing this to my car. It would be nice to eliminate the whole pump/reservoir/lines/pulley assembly.

Hey Wanganstyle: Which tie rod assemblies did you use for this installation?

Thanks for info on a new possible mod!
                                Last edited by mulletman; 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X