Engine & Tranny Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine & Tranny Mounts

What are you guys running for engine & tranny mounts for your track cars?

I have Condor UHMW mounts in there now and I am all for a little NVH, but this is just unbearable. I think my car might come apart at the seams if I run these.

Should I try some 75D delrin, or play it safe and try 80A or 95A poly? This is just for the drivetrain.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

I have AKG 95A poly engine mounts and 75D transmission mounts. All other chassis mounts are 75D poly.

I did have a fun time tracking down a vibration issue on deceleration for at LEAST a year. I got a new driveshaft and center support bearing, thinking it was the driveshaft, and I swapped to really soft transmission mounts. Switching to the soft transmission mounts helped, but the vibration was still there, but instead of happening all the time, it only happened every now and then.

In the end, I finally found that it was transmission misalignment. I took a careful look at where the transmission sat, relative to the transmission mounts. Something always seemed off about the position of the engine, so I loosened the engine and transmission mounts, and shoved the transmission as close to center as I could tell by eyeballing it and matching up the transmission cross brace.

Once I was satisfied with the position of the transmission, I tightened the transmission mounts down and THEN the engine mounts. The car does not have weird vibrations any more.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Replyed in other thread..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Fred, what did you use as reference points to try and get the tranny aligned perfectly? I will make sure to try and do the same.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Fred....nice work
          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
            Fred, what did you use as reference points to try and get the tranny aligned perfectly? I will make sure to try and do the same.
            I used the transmission brace as a reference, then I used the mount ears of the transmission as a reference.

I loosely installed the transmission mounts to the transmission, installed the mounts to the cross brace, and let it hang loosely in the tunnel.

I then jacked the transmission up with the cross-brace loosely installed until the studs that hang down from the chassis (the ones that slide in the slots) were very close to the cross-brace holes.

By doing this, I could see that there was a bit of misalignment, since the cross brace holes didn't line up that well. I shifted things over until the cross-brace installed with no problems, then jacked it up to the installed position, with the transmission mounts still loose.

I then fine-tuned the position of the transmission relative to the mounts. The trans mount ears allow for a good amount of misalignment. They're probably around 12 mm in diameter, whereas the transmission mount bolts are 8 mm. I moved the transmission until the bolts were centered in the transmission mount ears and tightened everything down. That cured my problem.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Thank you Fred. I'll use that procedure when I put my new mounts in just to be safe.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Condor's mounts that I've looked at are solid mounts- they use a through bolt, and uhmw as
                a spacer. That's not going to move, at all.

I have Ireland's urethane mounts, and a snubber to keep the engine from
                coming out of the bay if they delaminate. 4 years later, they haven't delaminated.
                It's not butter- smooth, but it's not as bad as solid, either.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have condor mounts in the front.

Since putting the ZF 5 speed in a few weeks ago, we have stock mounts in the rear for now to accommodate the slightly askew mounting on the stock cross brace.

But were are going to be pulling the whole drivetrain during the off season and installing an S52 and changing classes. At which point, probably go back to solid mounts all around.
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

installing an S52 and changing classes.
                    I DARE you to enter Pro3 races that way, for as long as you can. Just to piss us all off!

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      I DARE you to enter Pro3 races that way, for as long as you can. Just to piss us all off!

t
                      Ha! Didn't James Criv run a 24v for a couple races after he had some bad luck with his m20?

I'm more looking at trying to run the enduro series next session and maybe Thunderhill.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by djjerme; 09-03-2016, 08:34 AM.
                      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I thought he had an M30, but that was a few years back...

...and I think it'd be an awesome way to get someone to finally pony
                        up and PROTEST someone! (current chatter on the subject of HP makes my teeth hurt)

t

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                          ...and I think it'd be an awesome way to get someone to finally pony
                          up and PROTEST someone! (current chatter on the subject of HP makes my teeth hurt)

t
                          You and I both know, nobody will protest anyone. No one wants to be the next Noam..

Yes, that whole thing got ugly fast, and I just tried to stay out of it.
                          2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                            Ha! Didn't James Criv run a 24v for a couple races after he had some bad luck with his m20?

I'm more looking at trying to run the enduro series next session and maybe Thunderhill.
                            I think he ran an M50NV with stock tune to try and mimic the power of a chipped M20.

Comment

We should start protesting each other for really inane things like taped up (or untaped)
                              sidelights and stuff. Just to be idiots...

Hey, I need a new lump- maybe I should try the M50NV and see who's the first to pop
                              the $100 to get me booted. James, do you still have yours? It'd be classic to show up with it...

hee

t

obviously with too much time (and too little money) on his hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X