No announcement yet.

Need some guidance for getting my m30 swap BAR legal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i decided to look at this "no check engine light" thing, so i took out the instrument cluster... turns out there's no cel at all - no wiring, no bulb, nothing! seems like the car came stock without it, which apparently some models did and some didn't? i tried searching around and couldn't really find much, but is there any way to rig up a working CEL?

Comment

anything pre 88 doesn't have CELs

you can either get a late cluster and swap your speedo into it (for the odo) or stick a bulb in there and run your own wires to it

CEL comes in from C101 connector as a +12V signal so you just need to figure out what wire that is, run it to the bulb, run the other side of the bulb to ground.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by brandn View Post
        Alright, cool. The guy said i needed documentation for OEM headers though, how would i prove that? isn't there usually supposed to be something welded on the header saying so, or no?
        no

OEM manifolds are pretty obviously OEM. nobody would make aftermarket headers that ugly.

non-fun fact about BAR - if your inspector is a stickler, they won't let you have any modified pipe between your headers and your cat, it all must be 100% OEM as it came in the donor car.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          CEL comes in from C101 connector as a +12V signal so you just need to figure out what wire that is, run it to the bulb, run the other side of the bulb to ground.
          alright, thank you! Although I thought it was wire the bulb to a constant 12v and then the ground side to the c101, so when something happens in the engine it grounds itself to turn the light on? Maybe I'm mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            An M30 is literally an M10, just with 2 added cylinders. And sometimes a bore. And maybe a stroke. Depending on era.

The M20 is an orphan scion of the late 70's, early 80's fuel crisis.
            Its bottom end lived on in the M4x and then M5x DOHC motors.
            True - but here we're talking about emissions, and in that respect the M30B35 is a big M20. Both have Motronic 1.3 DME & emissions controls, the head updates BMW did to the M20B25 were also applied to the M30B35, so dish in dome pistons, similar combustion chamber shape etc.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

alright, so a quick little update + a question.

I got all the exhaust parts I need (CAL CAT with executive order, OEM manifolds, O2 sensor) and I have wired up the CEL... kind of. The CEL works, when I unplugged the O2 sensor and started the car, the CEL came on. When I plugged the O2 sensor back in and started the car, the CEL was off. Awesome! only problem I'm having is the stomp test is not working. So.. I have the CEL working there's just no way for it to read codes back to me. also sometimes when i turn the key to accessories, the CEL blinks once or twice before going solid, which is kinda strange.

Here's how I wired the CEL - i have a bulb in the cluster with one wire going to direct 12v from the battery and the other wire going to a grey wire (which was not connected to any pin, I would assume it's supposed to be to pin 12 though) on the male wire side of the c101. I'm not sure why the stomp test isn't working, so if anyone could help me out i'd love ya forever. I have also tried 3 other c101 wires on the female side and also tried running a wire to a ground instead of the battery, but with no luck unfortunately.

Comment

ols, the head updates BMW did to the M20B25 were also applied to the M30B35, so dish in dome pistons, similar combustion chamber shape etc
                Ah, yeah, I see what you mean: m30 cylinder head emissions development did inherit/parallel the
                m20 features. The m10 got a dopey dome, and a destroke...
                t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

anyone know the correct wires to use for the CEL? I can't get the light to flash to read any codes.

Comment

if your TPS isn't triggering the WOT and idle switches, you won't get it to flash, so check that
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Best advice I can give you. Leave California
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

that's shitty advice

this isn't that hard
                        cars beep boop

Comment

thank you kronus! you've been a huge help so far.

turns out my TPS actually was not adjusted properly (the idle switch wasn't engaged at idle and the WOT wasn't even activating at all). I adjusted it and it works now, but that still didn't fix the problem unfortunately... I'm going to mess around with the other wires in the C101 later and see if a different wire will work now that the TPS is fixed.

Comment

the CEL wire in the engine side of the harness should be either grey or brown/black and go through pin 12 of the C101.

I'd find the pin on the engine side of the harness, find the corresponding pin on the ECU connector, and check for continuity.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Different engine, same parameters...

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

i don't have any wires going through pin 12 at all. it's empty... however, there are 4 wires that are not wired to anything on the top side of the c101 (pretty sure that's the engine side?). there's a grey, black, white and black, black and white, and a green and black wire. the grey one is the only one that grounds out and allows the cel to turn on in the cluster, but i still can't get any codes from it.

here's a pic of all the exposed wires. the yellow one in my hand is the one running to the CEL bulb.

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229213

Different engine, same parameters...

t
                                thanks for the link! very helpful actually

Comment

Working...
                                X