No announcement yet.

Half-Life | '91 DS 318iS Slicktop | Track & Weekend Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news! The track day went off without a hitch yesterday.

The car felt great overall and it was nice to be back on the track after several months away.

I had no oil pressure issues. Water temp was perfect, right around 185-188*F all day. I still have minor fuel starvation when the tank gets below 3/8s full or so (smaller 318 tank). I will need a surge tank at some point. For now I am just going to keep the tank filled to around 3/4. The breather line on the tranny worked great, and I didn't have any oil seeping down the tranny like last time.

Oil temps averaged 220-225*F. The max I saw was 232*F. Temps would drop back down to 185 during the cool down lap, so idle pressure in the pits was still 27-30psi (as read by my gauge which says 9-10psi when the car is off, so who knows).

My pressure never dropped below 60psi in any corners, even left-handers. The baffle and crank scraper did a good job.

Based on these temps and pressures, I am guessing I can try 5w40 or 10w40 oil next fill? What would the expected changes be, lower pressure (of which I have plenty)? Would it alter the temps much? On the SpecE30 forums I've read that lighter oil in some cases can lower temps since thinner oil sheds heat better.

EDIT: I just popped a new thread for the oil viscosity in the M20 forum. Feel free to reply here or there: http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?p=4816528
    Last edited by Digitalwave; 08-16-2017, 09:30 AM.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Very nice build and documentation! Attention to detail and execution are great!

Sub'd, and looking forward to the ongoing evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian697 View Post
        Very nice build and documentation! Attention to detail and execution are great!

Sub'd, and looking forward to the ongoing evolution.
        Thanks Brian!

RISING EDGE

Comment

9-10psi on the gauge when cars off..? Probably been asked before but are you sure your gauge is correct? It's paired with the right sensor etc..?

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

It's the correct sensor and according to Innovate that is normal behavior. I have nothing to compare it to to know if it's "right."

RISING EDGE

Comment

Quick picture from the track day this week:

RISING EDGE

Comment

Not too much to report on lately. Haven't worked on the car much. I have a few small things to do before the next track day in 2 weeks.

Last track day I noticed a little bit of gas spillage by the filler neck during the first session when my tank was full. Most of it was on the side of the quarter panel and on top of the bumper. In that area I guess the only possible thing it could be is the gas cap. I stilled poked around the evap tank, but didn't see much. The hoses were definitely original to the car, and while there were no signs at all of them leaking, I changed them out anyways. I left the one large pre-formed hose for the filler breather for now, as that one looked okay.

I ordered a brand new Genuine BMW fuel cap (the one on the car looked aftermarket -- Blau I think was the brand), along with a new boot for around the filler as mine was disgusting.

I had fuel line and BMW hose clamps lying around to get the job done. It was messy, but easy!

Here you can see where it let some residue on the body:

This is a dirty ass job! Here's some of the lines, old and new (probably out of order):

That metal y-pipe in the first picture is known to rust out on some cars, causing a leak. Mine looked to be in great shape. It's still available, but it's about $45.

At this point I've replaced every single soft fuel line on the car. I hope the new gas cap solves this isssue.

Before the last autocross, I switched over to Redline 10w40 oil, from the thicker 15w50. It lowered my oil pressure a little. I am going to leave this in for a while now. I've done probably 3 oil changes in the last ~150 miles on the car!

Lastly, here is where I placed the breather for my tranny vent. Thankful that the hose I ran has solved the last of the leaking on my G260!

Last edited by Digitalwave; 11-06-2017, 11:36 AM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Nice build!
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Not much to update. Haven't touched the car in a few weeks due to Hurricane Irma. We were all safe and sound thankfully, but lost power for almost 5 days. I found some other photos from the last autocross I thought I'd drop in here. Also, a cool photo from my GoPro entering turn 10 at PBIR during my last track day. My tach isn't working in that pic, gotta send my cluster out to BavRest soon.

^ (out of focus, but that's the most current look of the front end)

Pretty much all car related events this month got cancelled due to the hurricane. Was supposed to be doing a track day tomorrow. I'm going to work on putting a few trim pieces back into the interior this week, like the panel that holds the sun visors and the a-pillar trim. Then hoping to get some more track time in October.
                    Last edited by Digitalwave; 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

I love that picture looking into the braking zone.

The car looks badass with the full halo seats in there

-
                      Project
                      Parts for Sale
                      Feedback
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                        I love that picture looking into the braking zone.

The car looks badass with the full halo seats in there
                        Thanks brother!

RISING EDGE

Comment

Such a clean and properly built E30

Comment

Looking good man, time to bring that thing up to GA! We'll be doing Road Atlanta 2nd weekend in October with PCA, and probably Roebling at some point in October/Nov as well. Let me know if you want to come up this way, I can definitely help you out with a place to work on the car and/or a place to crash if you need it
                            Last edited by Jb325is; 09-19-2017, 05:29 PM.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Looking good dude! this has been one of my favorite builds on here to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. View Post
                                Such a clean and properly built E30
                                Originally posted by Joeyz31 View Post
                                Looking good dude! this has been one of my favorite builds on here to follow.
                                Thanks so much fellas!

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                                Looking good man, time to bring that thing up to GA! We'll be doing Road Atlanta 2nd weekend in October with PCA, and probably Roebling at some point in October/Nov as well. Let me know if you want to come up this way, I can definitely help you out with a place to work on the car and/or a place to crash if you need it
                                I would love to do RA and Roebling! I will take you up on that when the time is right. I don't have a trailer, so for now I am staying local, but I am sure that is going to change. I just can't see myself in my advanced age driving this thing up to GA and back

Forgot about these pictures I took for my insurance company...

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                                X