Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!

I'm pretty excited
    Alright, that's an understatement.

I got it not only as an awesome new car to have at the shop and drive, but hopefully as a way for more people to try out vintage racing! Since the 240Z is such a durable and friendly platform, I'm toying with the idea of using this car for people who:
    A) Are new to the sport and want to know what it's like on track. I'm going to install a second seat and harness so I can take people on track and give them a taste of vintage racing!
    B) Want to get a license but don't have a car. This car would be a great way for someone to get their vintage racing license without having to buy a car first. As a bonus, they can use the experience to see what they would and wouldn't like in the car they end up with!
    C) Want to race, but don't have a car. This car could be used as a rental so people can see what a weekend of vintage racing is like without the pressure of bringing a car to the track. This could also work for someone whose primary car is out of service for whatever reason.

It's hopefully also a great way to show people we can work on things other than British cars (as much as we love them).

No matter what, I absolutely can't wait to get back to the shop and start working on it! It's already race-ready but I have some ideas for further improvement :D
    I'm really looking forward to this!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Very cool, congrats.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

so awesome mike!

are you concerned about lending the car out and having it come back a as wadded up pile of scrap metal?
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

That's an awesome Z!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          so awesome mike!

are you concerned about lending the car out and having it come back a as wadded up pile of scrap metal?
          The old adage applies, if you race it you should have already written it off.

When it happens you get to spend another 200+ man hours building a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
            Very cool, congrats.
            Thanks! :D

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            so awesome mike!

Yes! Heh...
            Nothing is set in stone yet as far as rentals go, but I'm going to drive the car at NJMP this September and see how it feels. What I know on paper about the car suggests it should be fast enough to be fun without being fast enough to overwhelm people, and it should be very well balanced. Hopefully that's how I find it to be!

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            That's an awesome Z!
            Right? :D

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            The old adage applies, if you race it you should have already written it off.

When it happens you get to spend another 200+ man hours building a new one.
            No need to rain on the parade with all that "real life," man. :)
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              No need to rain on the parade with all that "real life," man. :)
              If you do rent it be sure to have the renters take full responsibility for anything that happens on track.

In the mean time enjoy thrashing that Z, it really looks like a quality car!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                If you do rent it be sure to have the renters take full responsibility for anything that happens on track.

In the mean time enjoy thrashing that Z, it really looks like a quality car!
                I totally agree, gonna have to do some research on how to properly print the fine print.

Hopefully it all works out, though, because I'd love to spread the fun around!

Comment

Wow, look great, congratulations!

I love the looks of the 240z, especially yours, great stance.

If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to a family Triumph TR, I would dump it and get a 240z.

Those Datsuns seem to have all the right stuff, Japanese, good aftermarket, modern enough to have some power and handling but still a real raw driver.

Comment

Saw this on instagram, looks awesome! How many Z's do you see around the vintage racing scene? Haven't seen any in Europe yet
                    Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
                      Wow, look great, congratulations!

I love the looks of the 240z, especially yours, great stance.

If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to a family Triumph TR, I would dump it and get a 240z.

Those Datsuns seem to have all the right stuff, Japanese, good aftermarket, modern enough to have some power and handling but still a real raw driver.
                      Thanks! It has a great look for sure, and will look even better with some cosmetic attention. What kind of TR?
                      A "reliable" vintage race car is obviously an unusual concept to begin with, but this car really seems to be the best chance there is. Looks, performance, and durability in pretty good measure. It's very exciting :D
                      Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
                      Saw this on instagram, looks awesome! How many Z's do you see around the vintage racing scene? Haven't seen any in Europe yet
                      Thanks! We see four or five of day, though they've all been made into 280s from what I can tell. Huuuge power potential if you go all in, though that's cubic money compared to what I have to work with. Heh... I think this car is just right for what I'd like to do.

Comment

Also saw this on the Instagram, this is very exciting. I am dumb so I bought the car already to go Vintage Racing with. Hopefully the car and myself will be ready for VARA University in January so I can get my license and start racing
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

:coolphoto:

congrats!
                          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                            I'm pretty excited
                            Alright, that's an understatement.
                            Nice! Good looking race car! I bet that sounds really good.

I worked for a big Datsun dealer in Denver in high school, and we always had a row of these and new 280s to wash and move around, so I got to drive a bunch of them. Loved them ever since. The 240 is great, the 260 had a messed up injection system, and the 280 was very nice but not as direct as the 240.

There's a guy in Spokane I think(?) who runs a 240 race car in west coast races. A friend co-drove it in some endurance race in CA recently.

Comment

Mann, That looks nice!!!

Congrats!
                              1990 325i
                              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X