No announcement yet.

PnP Megasquirt Systems - Updated 2/16, Pricing Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth I still ordered a kit from him knowing it's going to take a while and have no communication. It looks to be by far the easiest solution to run MS in these cars.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

..unfortunately, we are having to file a claim with Paypal since he didn't feel the need to reply to emails.

My buddy is normally fairly tolerant, but when you've got a grand hanging out there for a couple months now and no reliable response. I can understand his displeasure.

We both own businesses and know that no matter where you are in life, you still can at least get a response out to paying customers.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Yep. If it gets around 60 days and he never ships your kit, probably best to get a PayPal claim opened.

EDIT: Looks like you have 180 days to file a item-not-received dispute with PayPal now.
        Last edited by Digitalwave; 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Doesn't DIYAutotune.com still sell PNP kits for the M20/M42? I think they are microsquirt based (MS2 CPU/software). Can run sequential on the M42 with some mods, sequential on the M20 requires MS3 though.

Making these is pretty time consuming. Last time I built a MS kit (and I've built several) it took like 4-5 hours of soldering. Presumably, this is just a side job/hobby for these guys and not a full time job - nobody is making a living wage selling MS kits for old BMWs. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The DIYAutotune kits are $800 and are somewhat plug and play. It plugs into your stock harness, but I don't believe it bolts up to the stock ECU location. You also have to splice or rewire for the IAT, MAP sensor, and wideband if you are going to use one. You'll need to come up with your own solution for the variable TPS.

Dederic's kit is nice because for $70 extra versus DIYAutotune, you get an MS2 built into a stock ECU box so it mounts right up, a wideband O2 sensor that plugs into the stock wiring harness 4-pin connector, an adapter that plugs into the stock AFM connector that wires your IAT and MAP sensor utilizing stock wiring, and a bolt up variable TPS with an adapter for stock wiring. It also comes with an M20 startup map (I am not sure if the DIY kit does).

It's just slightly more money and saves you a lot of time and effort (and probably money ultimately).

Obviously if you are electrically inclined there are cheaper options than either of them. I've built an MS2 board for a friend's car and while it was a fun project, I don't desire to do it again for my car. I also like that with this kit, you can convert back to Motronic in minutes, and don't have to splice a single wire on your engine harness.

RISING EDGE

Comment

is it possable to just buy the wideband pnp

Comment

I received my kit from Derek. It did take a while to get it. (ordered mid December) But I figured that going in. This is a side thing for him. Not a full business like DIYautotune. But I have to say its a great kit. Came with everything packaged and great instruction for everything. Seems like all the wiring is great quality! Can't wait to get it on my car.

Thanks!!
                sigpic
                Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                88 Alpine 325i
                1/2 88 325iX

Comment

We did get the kit a few weeks ago, and it does look great. But it still would help keep people's minds at ease if he could keep people updated in the future.

Take it as constructive criticism or whichever, but I am glad we get to try his set up out. I'm sure it'll be great.
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

whats the build time?
                    1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Spiegl View Post
                      whats the build time?
                      I would allow a month to month and a half. Its great work but takes a while. He only does it as a side thing.
                      sigpic
                      Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                      88 Alpine 325i
                      1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
                        I would allow a month to month and a half. Its great work but takes a while. He only does it as a side thing.
                        Yup, I emailed him and he said ~6 weeks. I am actually getting a megasquirt from SSSquid tuning (squidmaster) because I have had multiple chips from him and his service is the best.
                        1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          We did get the kit a few weeks ago, and it does look great. But it still would help keep people's minds at ease if he could keep people updated in the future.

Take it as constructive criticism or whichever, but I am glad we get to try his set up out. I'm sure it'll be great.
                          If you get a CEL, make sure to send it back to him immediately. Nearly a year later, I sent it back to him to install Bluetooth and he fixed the CEL, but I wasn't going to spend the $135 to replace the daughterboard that had a few issues. So it turns out I won't have a few input/outputs, like launch control. Not the biggest deal in the world, but kind of disappointing.

He's definitely not the best at responding to emails. He's had my unit for a few months now, I hope to get it back soon.

edit: He fixed everything and got the unit back to me a few weeks after I posted this. Just wanted to make that clear. He may take his time, but he is a stand up dude. Definitely does this as a side project, but it's quality work.
                          Last edited by Kershaw; 04-25-2017, 05:55 PM.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

E30 M42 Plug and Play Megasquirt video now uploaded check it out.

For anyone interested here is a unboxing and update on my e30 m42 build with the Dederic Motorsport kit E30 M42 Plug and Play Megasquirt video now uploaded check it out. https://youtu.be/47om80A92bI

Comment

Does anyone else has the issue with PayPal trying to sneak in some sort of tax on the MS purchase? It doesn't show with the initial price break down but than it's quietly added to the total right before you checkout. Is this set by PP or OP? I'm nowhere near CA...What kind of tax is it? Sales tax?
                              Last edited by zaq123; 02-20-2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                                Does anyone else has the issue with PayPal trying to sneak in some sort of tax on the MS purchase? It doesn't show with the initial price break down but than it's quietly added to the total right before you checkout. Is this set by PP or OP? I'm nowhere near CA...What kind of tax is it? Sales tax?
                                That's him charging you for PayPal fees basically. He said that can't be waived.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                                X