Question on 260 trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on 260 trans

I did a nice trans service a bit ago which included a new clutch and lightened flywheel. Problem was though that when I went to drive the car all the fluid poured out.

I have the trans out again now and I have two questions.

a. (see picture) Does the surface between the trans and the "throwout tube" need a seal around the outer circumference? I have some of the bmw seal goop, is this adequate or is there a gasket?

b. My clutch disc got soaked badly and it slipped a bit on the way to the workshop. Is it ruined or can I shoot the heck out of it with brake cleaner?

Ok that was three questions. As always I really appreciate the great advice I get here.

Marcos
    Attached Files
    ... Greased Monkey ...

Use the "bmw seal goop" you have, or suitable RTV and reassemble. That plate should be sealed. Inspect the seal in that plate to make sure you didn't pinch or distort the edge or something, causing that to also leak.

Also, replace the clutch disc. They're cheap, and no matter what anyone says about how they cleaned theirs up just fine, still replace it. Why pull a trans twice?
    sigpic
    Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

Ty

Or thrice for that matter.

Thanks
      ... Greased Monkey ...

Comment

Follow up

Got the clutch disc and pressure plate off and only busted one bolt, extracted that and broke another bolt reinstalling it... Seems like these bolts are WAY crappy.

Sending for new bolts, I think my torque wrench is wacky, tried 25 lbs.

Here is the thing, when I fitted it all together there was a bit of room (couple millimeters) between the pressure plate and flywheel, tightening the bolts brought it together but I'm not sure the clutch disc was in correct orientation.

Which direction does the clutch disc face in relation to the flywheel and does the little (flywheel) plate/disc go in front or on engine side of flywheel?

I know that if you orient the clutch disc wrong it will not disengage and the opposite way from which I had it seemed to not let the disc snug up against the flywheel. It seemed to come in contact with the flywheel bolts.

The picture below actually shows the OPPOSITE from the way I had the clutch disc in the car. Derr
        Attached Files
        ... Greased Monkey ...

Comment

Working...
        X