Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good non OEM Brands

Gents,

New to the E30 world here. I've got an '84 325e and theres a slight oil leak from the head gasket. I intend to replace it, but I want to gather some info on the E30 community and the parts prior to ordering.

I would assume going in that OEM are going to the be preferred gasket to go with, but what non-OEM companies make good products? What are the websites that I can / should order from, and are there any that I should stay away from?

Thanks for the info ahead of time

Elring. Stay away from Victor Reinz when possible, especially for head gaskets.
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Uro! Jk
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I've used TRW brake pads, ball joints and tie rods on my E30. No problems with these.

I've also used an ignition coil, rotor and distributor from Bremi. No issues.
        Estoguy
        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
          I've used TRW brake pads, ball joints and tie rods on my E30. No problems with these.
          TRW is actually an OEM supplier; they bought Lucas Girling a few years back. If you've got 'Girling' stamped calipers, TRW is your brand!
          87 325is - 88 635CSi - 03 Jetta 1.8T - 04 V70R

Comment

FAG & SKF seem to make decent bearings. Lemförder is pretty much a sure bet on just about everything.

I'm 50/50 on Febi. Haven't had any outward issues with their stuff, but some times the price just seems too good to be true.

A big 'no' to Üro, MTC and Hamburg Technic. I've sworn off Meyle too after a bad experience with my Audi 4kq.

Not sure on FEQ and Karlyn.
            -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
            '95 525iT
            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
            '98 Disco 1

Comment

if not BMW OE then

rubber bushes on suspension lemforder
              head gasket goetze
              VR is ok for other less critical gaskets
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Febi just fell off my list- 3 of the last 4 Febi boxes in the last order came back
                "Made in China" and felt that way, too.

Botch is also doing its best to auger in, it seems.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by SixerFixer View Post
                  TRW is actually an OEM supplier; they bought Lucas Girling a few years back. If you've got 'Girling' stamped calipers, TRW is your brand!
                  I did not know that!

Well, their pads are great... had them installed when I first got the car, and I got just over 176K km (105+K miles) out of them.
                  Estoguy
                  1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                  X