Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo Hoo!

Comment

Steve, you still go to Carb connection in Kirkland?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Steve, you still go to Carb connection in Kirkland?
        Yes.

Comment

Public Service Announcement: If your wideband O2 sensor is more than a few years old, replace it! I'm at amazed at how well my wideband works again after replacing the sensor. It was behaving more like a narrow band, where it would register A/Fs close to 14.7 but nothing that was as it got richer or leaner.

Now, it's solid from like 11.0 to 18.0.

They're also really cheap now. like $50...

Comment

Originally posted by jaker View Post
            dyno, dyno, dyno. We demand dyno!!!
            Give in to our demands!
            E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
              Give in to our demands!
              Fine...

Hit the dyno this morning. I tried some different VANOS profiles, mostly intake, and some slight timing adjustments. I found that it likes a little less intake advance below about 3000, it responded nicely to exhaust retard above about 4500, and I got a 2HP bump by advancing my timing 2 degrees across the board.

Unfortunately, I didn't do a run where I could incorporate all of those changes into the same run. The attached shows my baseline tune with 10 degrees of exhaust retard across the board, which made it suffer on the low end. It's compared against the pull when I first installed the motor, with the oversized and obnoxiously loud headers.

237WHP is decent considering I have OBD2 headers.

If someone could explain why I have a peak at 2500, a drop at 2750 and another peak at 3000 that would be swell.. I did get that to flatten out by having less intake advance.

Here's all the runs together:

Attached Files
              Last edited by hoveringuy; 02-16-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

237whp is NOT bad at all! Nice
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That is rather nice, and that 20-25ft/lb bump in the 4,000-5,000 range must be very nice. According to my tuner, that raggedness in the curve on the top end is usually the DME fighting knock/detonation. Keep going! It's looking really healthy.

Comment

Collector is too close to the headers, causes exhaust gas reversion. Super healthy and awesome numbers, some of the best I've seen from a stock cam M54.
                    E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
                      Collector is too close to the headers, causes exhaust gas reversion. Super healthy and awesome numbers, some of the best I've seen from a stock cam M54.
                      Cams are not stock, but the figures are very impressive.

Steve posted previously:
                      "The intake is a Schrick 264 degree/10.5mm. Stock was 240/9.7

The exhaust is a Shrek cam. 254 degree/9.7mm. Stock was 244/9.0"

Steve
                      Do you have a bone stock M54B30 dyno to show the gains made against a stock engine and ECU?
                      Last edited by mike25; 02-20-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Considering the car was rated at 225 crank hp stock, I'd say 237whp is damned impressive :up:

Comment

This is about what a stock M54 looks like. While I make way more power over 4000, I've actually lost torque and power below that. I'm down 35 ft-lbs from my previous motor where I was well over 200 torques at 3000.

The old motor felt more like a V-8.

A good header would probably restore about 15-20 torques where I need it, the OBD2 manifold isn't bad but it isn't great.
                          Attached Files

Comment

are you using the OBD1 intake or the Disa intake? Disa makes a big difference in low-end torque.

Power is about equivalent to an N52 with headers/tune (but less low end torque). I think there might be something to the comment about ignition knock at higher RPM, the graph is fairly wavy. It might even gain some power with less ignition.

I wish I could have made it out Thursday while you were at CC but I just couldn't leave work - too much going on at the moment..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              are you using the OBD1 intake or the Disa intake? Disa makes a big difference in low-end torque.

Power is about equivalent to an N52 with headers/tune (but less low end torque). I think there might be something to the comment about ignition knock at higher RPM, the graph is fairly wavy. It might even gain some power with less ignition.

I wish I could have made it out Thursday while you were at CC but I just couldn't leave work - too much going on at the moment..
                              The torque (besides the low end) is pretty damn high - higher than an N52!
                              E92 Msport

Comment

yeah but he has schricks :)

and it's just the peak number that's higher - everything below 4k is lower.

Still a great accomplishment, basically +40whp with cams and a tune.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X