flywheel resurface Machinist question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flywheel resurface Machinist question

My dad is resurfacing my flywheel... he is new at the engine parts end of it but he claims is pretty simple. One question is brought up... Can the surface be too smooth? Its nice and fresh looking after he put it on the the machine to take off 5 thousanths. A co-worker sugested to put it on the lathe to have it a bit coarse for the clutch to have somthing to bite into. Otherwise I may get a lot of chatter as the disk will not grab the smooth surface as well.

The theory sound great but wanting someones .02 cents who
    has expierience

What is he using to surface it? There is a typical surfacing machine for this and not done with a lathe.

A pretty boring video about flywheel resurfacing... Hey, what can you say about flywheels, slap'em on the machine, turn it on, stand back and watch the spark...

Having some surface texture will seat a new disk quicker.

FYI, the step in the flywheel is critical to keep.
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

The perfect refinish job is done with a grinder and the surface should be nearly mirror smooth.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Video was cool, I wondered how that was done.
        Originally posted by BAlbertiX
        your my boy blue!

Comment

I have a feeling it's a good idea as well to have it balanced. Is it internal/ external balance and do I get it balanced to the rotating assy or just to zero etc.

Comment

Working...
          X