Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 Auto to Manual Wiring Harness Conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cormier View Post
    The big brown one that ties into 4-5 other ground looking wires in the main body? I just cut it off at the junction, figured the auto computer won't need to be grounded any more

If you put up a pic of the ETM page or pin numbers or even Bentley diagrams that have those wires I can help you out, I managed to get the entire auto computer harness wires out. Where do they connect on the other side? And all 3 are from the EGS main connector?
    The ETMs and Bentley don't have wire colors, so I've been using a shop repair program called Mitchell. The wires run from the AUTO computer to the DME in the glove box.
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

What pins are those 3 wires from the EGS Harness?

I can find the ABS one referenced in the pinout, but not the other two youre talking about -- is it the DKT?

Are you using this diagram? I have found it to be a little less complete than the ETMs, even though working through the pins is a little more involved

The ABS is listed as an input for the EGS, won't need it to run. Also, remember that if theres nothing plugged into the EGS harness (ie running it in a 5sp) it would be just like removing it anyways. If the wires run directly to the DME, remove the DME pins. If they run to a splice in the body of the harness, remove the EGS wire from the splice and you should be fine

Comment

I found the link to all of the ETM's I used for the swap. Just look up your, and the donor E34/36 harness by year and you'll have all the information you need. I had also read about E36's using a dummy relay in the place of the auto transmission selector, but I didn't have to make any mods to the trans wiring like scottinAZ just mentioned.

Just copy and paste it and you'll be directed to a listing of the ETM's by year and series.

Comment

Originally posted by tcanin00 View Post
          I found the link to all of the ETM's I used for the swap. Just look up your, and the donor E34/36 harness by year and you'll have all the information you need. I had also read about E36's using a dummy relay in the place of the auto transmission selector, but I didn't have to make any mods to the trans wiring like scottinAZ just mentioned.

Just copy and paste it and you'll be directed to a listing of the ETM's by year and series.
          Hey thanks for that dude. I've poured through those ETMs and they are not as informative as I require.

Comment

No problem. Honestly, after studying the schematics it was enough information to eliminate the auto section of the harness and get everything working properly. There are many knowledgable people on this forum. I read through countless thread pertaining to this swap just to get an idea of what to expect and what the most common problems other people were experiencing. What exactly do you need more information about?

Comment

Off hand

I think you'll find that red/white/yellow whatever wires is emissions related, and designed to go back to the gas tank emissions vapor management etc.

You don't need it.

Really, the ETM is your friend, and since you have the wires in hand, at some point, you should have been able to see what pin they came off either the DME for the engine, or the DME for the trans...that gives you the first clue or knowledge about what they are.

The other thing to keep in mind, even though we have a very complex engine management in the BMW, remember, that the X20 is only communicating a very limited amount of information to your car's chassis in this case:

Key on ignition
              Tach
              fuel pump power
              rpm
              Idiot light for oil pressure
              CEL potentially
              Charge light for alternator
              Coolant temperature

And the E36 for packaging reasons sends the two reverse light wires to the X20 so that the wires to the switch on the trans come down from the engine harness with the O2's etc...

That is of course off the top of my head, but you get the picture. Everything important is between the dme and the engine really.
              sigpic
              Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
              http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Ok guys, thanks for the help. I've got the harness almost all together.

One question regarding oil temp and how I go about wiring that.

Another question I have is about the coolant temp gauge in the head. Where is that wired into the harness? Which sensor do I splice? Which sensor should I use? (just the little one off my M20?)

Comment

I know there have been other posts that explained how to wire up the oiul temp sensor. I honestly don't know since my car does not have an oil temp gauge.
                  I used the M20 water temp sensor for the gauge and it screwed directly into the head in the place of the original E36 sensor. Its the second one, the first temp sensor is for the DME and has blue tape around the plastic connector. The E36 temp sensor connector is idectical to the M20's As far as wiring the temp sensor, I just matched the wires to what would connect to the single pin on the M20 sensor. It was purple with either a white or gray stripe. That wire goes to the X20 and from there you can connect it through the C101. I just took the ground wire for the E36 temp sensor out of the harness. Hope this helps!

Comment

That's awesome! Thanks tcanin00. Just to clairfy, is the right-most gauge a coolant temp or oil?

Comment

rightmost gauge is coolant temp.

Just for the record, I left the coolant temp sender wiring alone. Replace the sender, but there is no need to modify the wiring going to it on the M50 harness, the connector will mate right up to the M20 sender, wiring will be correct

I read about 1/2 way on the gauge during normal operation.
                      I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Do you have a provision in the head to put your dash coolant sensor? That's the complicating factor to the wiring

Comment

Originally posted by cormier View Post
                          Do you have a provision in the head to put your dash coolant sensor? That's the complicating factor to the wiring

coolant sensor for the gauge goes in place of the black sensor in the head. simply replace then E36 sensor with the E30 one.

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                            coolant sensor for the gauge goes in place of the black sensor in the head. simply replace then E36 sensor with the E30 one.
                            The sensor plug/connector in the wiring harness will plug into the E30 sensor no problem?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                              The sensor plug/connector in the wiring harness will plug into the E30 sensor no problem?

yes, it will hook right up

Comment

Yes, like scottinAZ metioned, it plugs into the M20 temp sensor directly. I removed the E36 ground wire because I hate the idea of "dead" or used wires in a harness. BTW MaxBell, what instrument cluster is that? I believe the gauge in the bottom of the tach is for oil temp, since it reads higher than a coolant temp would.

Comment

Working...
                                X