replacing the oil pressure switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing the oil pressure switch

I used a multimeter to test the switch, and it appears to be faulty, so I'm trying to take the old one off and put a new one on. The problem is that I can't find a socket that will work. They're either too short to clear the switch terminal or too long for the tight space between the switch and the subframe. The "universal" oil pressure sockets I've found are 1", but the bolt on the switch is 24mm.

I'm assuming there's a way to do this with a wrench or socket and without lowering the subframe. Is there a 24mm oil pressure switch socket that I need to track down and buy? Am I missing something obvious? TIA.

1" is pretty damn close to 24mm. Does it work? It shouldn't be that tight

Comment

1" is 25.4mm, so no, a 1" socket is too big. 15/16" might work.

The answer to your question though, is to loosen the subframe bolts and lower it down an inch or so using a jack, while supporting the engine with blocks under the oil pan.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks, Nando. And, yes, I can confirm that 1" is too big. It sounds like you're saying that the way to do this is to lower the subframe. ... Any advice about what else I can or should do/check while I have it lowered?
        BTW, I'm able to fit a socket wrench and socket in the space when the socket's short enough. Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

not really. it's not as bad as it seems, unless your car is super rusty, it's really only 4 bolts plus the nuts for the motor mounts.. maybe do the motor mounts since you have to loosen them anyway. if you do that, I'd just go with stock.

you might be able to fuck with it long enough to get to that pressure switch without lowering the subframe, but ehh - I tried that. I ended up lowering it anyway, which took less time than I wasted screwing around. :p

Of course, don't actually remove the subframe bolts - just undo them enough so you can lower it. you don't want to remove them completely and have to try to align everything again, plus I don't think there's that much more slack in the steering rack / power steering lines anyway.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
          X