No announcement yet.

Dash flock accomplished!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great, now my mind is set, I am doing this too.

Comment

This is a great mod!

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

nice my dash is cracked too need to do some thing like this
        came out really nice BTW
        sigpic

my build thread:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=232324

Comment

thanks all. For those who are thinking about doing it, a few points of advice:

1. wear nitrile gloves. The epoxy/adhesive stuff is colored to the nylon, and it will stay on skin for days afterwards!

2. do it on a cool day - this allows longer tack time for the adhesive, so you don't have to rush like crazy like I did. If I had known this in advance, I would have taken a bit more time and not messed up some minor areas.

3. make sure to remove the vents. They'll slide in fine after the area around them is flocked, don't worry. Also remove the defroster vents - you'll want to brush on the adhesive in to the slots, but don't want to get them into the vent tubes themselves.

4. Set up the dash somehow so you can access all sides of it easily (including the lower sections) without touching it. Once you put the adhesive on, you need to do ALL of it (not in sections!), and you can't touch the dash to move it easily, so put it up on some sawhorses or something.

5. After you've flocked it, don't touch it for 24 hours. The instructions say 7 hours but I did rub off a little section about 10 hours after I did it when I moved the dash. Probably because it's 40 degrees in my garage. Anyhow, better safe than sorry. After 24+ hours, it can be handled at will without rubbing anything off.

6. Make sure the adhesive is smooth with no runs. I had a couple runs and they can be seen in the final product, even if just barely.

That's it for now, let me know if you have other questions.

J

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop
          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Wow, came out looking really good!

Comment

what color gray did you use? charcoal gray? wanting to do the same color as yours. i have like 3 cracked dashes that i can do. thanks for posting this up.

Comment

yep, that's the charcoal.
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

:) thanks, ordering it tonight. ill post a pic when i complete it. :up: thanks again.

Comment

damn, I should get Donjer to sponsor me, lol....I think they got like 10 orders out of this thread :)
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

^^lol
                      sigpic

my build thread:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=232324

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                        damn, I should get Donjer to sponsor me, lol....I think they got like 10 orders out of this thread :)

Comment

That's it, my dash is getting flocked. This dash looks sick (random photo off google).

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

what do you guys think? would you flock the glove box to, or no?

Comment

Here's a pic I just found of an E21 dash using the black Donjer kit. I really, really want to do this now!

Comment

my flocked dash comes off really easily, I hope your's stays attached better!
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X