Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delete

Delete
    Last edited by amcink; 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I know old thread, but: reduce, reuse, recycle.

Time for an exhaust. Want it to be single (as I dont want to buy another ACS tip nor hack my ACS rear).

Quiet, sporty. This is a weekend, date night kind of car..
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I have a feeling that sometimes when people build home-custom-exhausts that they may not get them isolated from the car like they were from the factory. Muy importante.
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          I know old thread, but: reduce, reuse, recycle.

Time for an exhaust. Want it to be single (as I dont want to buy another ACS tip nor hack my ACS rear).

2.5 in , high flow cat to magnaflow. Sounds great but doesn't drone.

Comment

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
            2.5 in , high flow cat to magnaflow. Sounds great but doesn't drone.
            Is there a sound clip my good sir?

Comment

Is there a sound clip my good sir?
              Good sir? You must know that I too own a 95 540i :)

Been meaning to record it, always gets compliments, will do asap.

Comment

Would be good to hear - I find it hard to believe any 2.5 single sport exhaust doesn't drone with the M30 - especially if you just have a hi flow cat & rear muffler. Then again, some people like drone :D

My setup is a 2.5 inch single with hi flow cat, 14 inch resonator and sport rear muffler, and twin 2.5 inch exhaust tip - the drone drove me mad. After putting up with it for years, I tried adding a motorbike exhaust silencer recently to one of the rear tips, and that reduced the drone quite dramatically (but looks a bit odd from the back of the car though, and may have reduced the flow somewhat).

In response to Ether-Ds post further up, I used all the factory rubber mounts for mine, so the isolation should be the same as stock.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Is there an off the shelf solution? Eah exhaust shop will have their own answer and I do not know enough at the moment to know wrong or right.

Comment

Is there an off the shelf solution? Eah exhaust shop will have their own answer and I do not know enough at the moment to know wrong or right.

Unfortunantly there is no off the shelf solution for e30 m30 swap. Your going to have to build one from scratch or have a shop build one. The only "off the shelf" e30 part you could use is a muffle and its clamps and then have the mid sections custom made like usual to fit in between. You could then cut the tip of that muffler and weld on the ACS tip. An E30 318i m42 muffler is single and single out

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Off the shelf option. Just pricy.

Comment

I like that supersprint setup but I don't like the price nor the slip fittings from header to midpipe.

My setup:
                        ireland headers -> dual in/out magnaflow cat -> dual in/out stromung
                        2" pipe all the way thru

no drone, pretty mellow for having headers. I need to get a sound clip.
                        sigpic

Comment

My 2.5" setup drones too, even with the turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                            My 2.5" setup drones too, even with the turbo.
                            do you have a catalytic?
                            sigpic

Comment

Drone free 2 1/2" single here with headers.

I would consider fairly large mid and rear mufflers.
                              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

So sounds like 90% of the time you will be driving under half throttle, listening to music and talking to your lady friend?

If you have the money, mimic the oem bmw twin ~1.25" exhaust. Small exhausts get rid of drone, so 2 small exhausts are better than 1. If you want something sporty perhaps one of the aftermarket twin exhausts.

The bigger you, the worse the drone will be.

I got talked out of 2.5" and 2 mufflers on my m20b23 when chatting to the exhaust man, and i went with a single 2.25" with 2 mufflers. its still a bit louder than id like mid rpm half throttle, but it is all but silent when cruising at highway speeds. My car is daily drive, and i did not want it loud.

The other thing with the bmw twin design is ground clearance. my 2.25 is tucked up pretty good but it is considerably lower than than the bmw twin.

Comment

Working...
                                X