Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I can I think I can (AKA Locomotive thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

That is one big ass Detroit, I didnt know they were still in service in Loco's even anymore dude to fuel consumption and emissions regs..
    They don't manufacture then anymore, but still in use because of the good numbers and stupid reliability. I'll snap a photo of one of the block casting dates. I'm pretty sure they are all 30 years old or more now. The blocks that is, internals are obviously newer, and they redesigned the induction system to go to the turbo setup. Oh, and EFI helps too.

Honestly, even though these mp36c's are 2010 model year locomotive's, they are a mix mash of old parts updated with new technology. I had to replace a couple dynamic brake fans for a recall per say, the casting dates on the ones coming out and going back in were in the 1970 range.

Speaking of emissions, next photo idea. Biggest catalytic converter I've seen in person. They are about 2 feet in diameter each smack on top of the exhaust. We have to remove and clean them out on occasion. I'll snag a photo next time I'm playing around on the roof of one.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

yeah 2 stroke detroits while not the most fuel efficient are STUPID reliable so long as you dont over heat them and burn up the water jacket/Cylinder liner seals at the bottom of the bore. They really hate coolant in the oil, it takes a very small amount in the oil pan to spin a bearing or 4. The nice thing is though they were made for so long they are very cheap to rebuild parts wise, and 8V92 (the last of the over the road and bus 2 strokes built into the mid 90's) are about 150-160 bucks a hole to rebuild, so long as your crank is not scored and shot to hell.....
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Underside of cab car that's been lifted about 6 feet in the air.

No E30 Club
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

How big of an exhaust pipe to flow for 3600hp?

Two of these.

The catalyst in this one broke free, and spun until enough of the top had been closed off that the engine wouldnt even idle. The top rubbed against the x that holds it in place.

For size reference, that's my size 13 boot next to it.
          No E30 Club

Comment

Dude. This thread is full of so much awesome. I'm gonna have to show the kids tomorrow
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              There ae 2 types of super charger roots and centralfugal both are supper chargers and both are referred to as blowers, but when you think of a blower you generally picture a roots type like 2 storke detroit diesles need to function properly.
              Actually you will find the 2 stroke blower will not work if you try to use it as a supercharger. It is a roots type blower but it is pitched to only supply maximum flow therefore once pressure starts to rise it looses its efficiency and basically does nothing. Also in the later models they had a pressure operated clutch to disengage drive once the turbo's started to supply pressure. Trust me, i've rebuilt enough of them. Ive also done 71/92/53 2 strokes. I worked for Mtu/detroit diesel when i did my apprenticeship/trade.

Get ready for some pic heavy stuff.

Cat 3412

Mtu 200 common rail

This is what i work on now. 800 odd tons of fury.

Those little red dots in front of the centre trucks are people.

Comment

^ Very cool, my kid brother is doing his 3rd block apprenticeship for working in the HD shop for Shell in Ft.mac Canada (Oilsands mine) looks similar in nature to the open pit stuff you have going on there... Also I used to play with some cat stuff like the 3412 3408, and even some old D398's...will last forever if you do the maintenance it seems, used to love doing oil changes and such on them, usually the best couple of hours of my day working rigs...mostly they drove generator sets for us in a Diesel /Electric set up running a bunch of big-ass traction motors...good times. cool thread is cool.
                Originally Posted by ACMF74
                i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

very cool stuff

-chris

Early 323i
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214425
                  320i V8 Swap
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345807
                  M3
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310470

Comment

Goddamn that is come cool stuff!

If only I did only have a size 11 boot, maybe I could get into working on this stuff.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Yea, only size 12 and up can get in.

Compression test time! Looking for 300+ psi. Some hit 350.

No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                        Are you sure about that? Wikipedia says the engine in a B17 is supercharged, not turbo.
                        The term used back in the day to describe these units on the B-17 and other aircraft (like the P-38 Lightning) was actually "turbo supercharger". Since that time, the turbo portion was kept, the supercharger portion was dropped, and 'supercharger' is usually used to describe ONLY those units spun by something connected to the crack or other mechanical means, not via exhaust gasses like a 'turbo'. Not surprising that over time, even the museums that have these things on display have gotten foggy on the terms. :(
                        SOMEBODY messed with my sig so now you get this one:

Comment

Well I've been learning.

Turns out, the turbo on these locomotive's is actually a supercharger turbocharger hybrid. It is gear driven until exhaust pressure reaches a sufficient level to disengage a clutch to go into turbo mode. Pretty interesting stuff!

Oh, your car has 1000cc injectors? That's cute.

I truely love this job. So glad to get away from automotive but still turn wrenches. My mentality has turned from getting shit done fast, to spending as much time as needed to get it done perfectly.

Plus, all I can think about anymore is buying a house with a garage so I can wrench on the Trans Am for FUN again. After 10 years in the auto repair industry I couldn't stand working on my car anymore. My hobby is my hobby again. Though I have picked up some priceless knowledge along the way that will help.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post

I truely love this job. So glad to get away from automotive but still turn wrenches. My mentality has turned from getting shit done fast, to spending as much time as needed to get it done perfectly.

Plus, all I can think about anymore is buying a house with a garage so I can wrench on the Trans Am for FUN again. After 10 years in the auto repair industry I couldn't stand working on my car anymore. My hobby is my hobby again. Though I have picked up some priceless knowledge along the way that will help.
                            how hard is it it to get a job in your industry? I'm an auto technician myself, but i don't plan on being one forever, i'd like to explore other areas like diesel tech, aviation, or this sometime down the road from now. just been kinda day dreaming about the future

Comment

I've been doing this for a little over 6 months now and I have found that there are 2 ways to get into the rail industry:

Have a very strong skillset that is needed, or,

Know somebody.

I got lucky, I had a resume on career builder with my ASE master certs listed and a cover page that mentioned my want to change careers. The company I work for was looking for an Engine guy, and I fit the bill.

Honestly, I wasn't looking for this job. I just got a phone call out of the blue asking if I wanted to move to Virginia and work on trains. I said hell yes and here we are 6 months later.
                              No E30 Club

Comment

ha nice, it might be something id be interested in down the road, like you i would like to keep turning wrenches, but i know that auto industry is going to wear me out sooner or later, we will see

Comment

Working...
                                X