Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3V: Which Modern BMW (or Similar) to Daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    The PO did maintain it fairly well though. I'm still on the original water pump at 120k, and the 330i is the N52 as it was meant to be - with the 3 stage intake and a nice torque curve. You can do the 3 stage on the 328i but it will be more costly, plus the 330i gets better brakes, suspension etc. stock.
    I knew the 330i's had more power but had no idea about brakes and suspension. That's nice to know. Only available in a 2006 4 door correct or no?
    Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

well, there might be some base model non-sports out there - and the xi's didn't have a sport suspension option. but I wouldn't recommend a non sport and the RWD E90s drive a lot better than the AWD ones do, IMO. yes, only 2006.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My E46 was a tank, just a standard 323CI, great car, fun to drive, quiet etc. As much as it pisses off other enthusiasts/E46 owners, they really are the Honda civic of BMWs when it comes to cost and reliability, and as a BMW owner, maintenance/up keep should not be anything new to you. Plus they can be had super cheap these days

That being said, I see no love for the E39 here? If your hell bent on an M car and can handle the maintenance/cost of parts on them, you can get an e39 M5 around the same price, if not cheaper, then an E46 M3, and IMO, get a lot more car/power that has probably been less beat on then an M3.

Yes I am biased, but I daily my m5 occasionally, when I'm not driving my truck/cycle/motorcycle, and its great, nice and quiet, great options in terms of creature comforts, and if your easy on it, it will still get around 25mpg on the highway, unlike my buddy's e60 M5, which gets 8 mpg no matter what you do.

Comment

E39 M5 is cool but they're getting pretty aged, regular 5 series just seem too boaty to me. The E90 is bad enough. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            YET another daily thread.

Looking forward to hearing R3V speak.

Thanks,
            S
            Talk that phresh kid into selling you one of his less coveted 2002s. He has plenty.

Comment

My Vote: E46 330i ZHP, but if you are in slow moving traffic you might want to consider something in an auto.
              1990 325i
              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
              sigpic

Comment

i used to be a "manual only" fan boy, now I love just being able to coast around and relax in an auto

the only thing I wish I could change is how lazy the auto is sometimes, they adapt to your driving style and if you're heavy footed then when you go to drive light footed the car doesn't go anywhere and you have to bury the pedal.. You basically have to give it some shit before you intend on giving it some shit.

You also cant flatten it turning and it wont kick down mid corner. even with the DSC off. Stupid but safer I suppose.
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

E39-a bit "big" for daily commuting unless it's all freeway. My touring always feels big around town.

E90-wife's 2011 328 (xdrive) good around town in the size dept. Decent comfort/acceleration/highway ride. Current mpg is about 21. She's a bit of a lead foot!

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
                    I see no love for the E39 here?
                    I hear you. Also, paging Swanny...

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                    E39-a bit "big" for daily commuting unless it's all freeway.
                    Nah... I'm in an E39 now and I love it. Mechanically it's been phenomenal (M54B30) - due in no small part to me staying on top of the preventive maintenance - but it's starting to show its age: the door handles are fading and the felt is beginning to separate from the A- and C-pillars as well as above the sun visors.

Coming from that, an E90 is too small - especially if you want to carry adults in the back seat or put a set of golf clubs in the trunk.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

my vote:

135i there is nothing funner(made by bmw) on the road today in that price range. you will probably need to me looking at an n54, so no dct, but a really good fast car. burger tuner adds a lot of power for about 400 bucks.

second choice of the cars you listed would be an e39 m5. i wouldn't be very excited about daily driving this car, but truly an amazing engine and lot of upgrades available for the suspension.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Define "Modern" by my definition you already have modern. I'm really looking forward to daily driving my '59 Alfa Sprint.

I hear the ZHPs are decent cars, M3s without the S54 essentially. I just worry about all the electronic stuff on anything made after the E30. Big turn off to me.

Will
                        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                          I hear you. Also, paging Swanny...

Nah... I'm in an E39 now and I love it. Mechanically it's been phenomenal (M54B30) - due in no small part to me staying on top of the preventive maintenance - but it's starting to show its age: the door handles are fading and the felt is beginning to separate from the A- and C-pillars as well as above the sun visors.

Coming from that, an E90 is too small - especially if you want to carry adults in the back seat or put a set of golf clubs in the trunk.
                          In comparison to the E30 the E39 is pretty big......I still love it though!!
                          Windshield gasket (replaced), wiper arms (soon, maybe), are my big "fade" areas. Being garage kept since new my interior is in real good shape. All pixels still work!

The wife occasionally sits in the back seat of her car when her dad goes somewhere with us. She's about 5'5-5'7 and she never complains. Ours has the split fold down seats so extra big stuff (collapsible banquet tables) haven't been an issue.

Comment

I daily my e90 m3. Tons of fun and I drive hundreds of miles a week.

As stated before, I wouldn't go any bigger than the e90. It feels so large, but the m3 is incredibly nimble. Actually handles somewhat vaguely similar to my e30. By that, I mean you can tell that they came from the same school of thought.

That said, my brother dailys a tuned e92 335i, same job. He loves it. Both of our cars have been dead reliable, but then they were meant to be driven. Hard. And that's what they get.
                            Derek-

Comment

No e36 love? I'm really happy with my daily e36 328i that I found in good condition with the sport package. They're almost "classic" by now but are a significant step up from e30s in every way except they feel heavier, but that's just my opinion. I'm averaging 27mpg and the power and torque are more than adequate for daily use. Put the difference toward your student loans.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Although I daily drive my 1990 325i S50 car, my wife's 2007 328xi with the autotragic is what we jump in for road trips. Very quiet, comfortable and enough giddyup to get where we're going. Solid and reliable. Not bad looking either.
                                "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death."
                                -Patrick Henry, n.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X