Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3V: Which Modern BMW (or Similar) to Daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
    No e36 love? I'm really happy with my daily e36 328i that I found in good condition with the sport package. They're almost "classic" by now but are a significant step up from e30s in every way except they feel heavier, but that's just my opinion. I'm averaging 27mpg and the power and torque are more than adequate for daily use. Put the difference toward your student loans.
    Most E36's are pretty beat by now. THe E46 & E90 are also faster, more comfortable, have better interiors, and get better fuel economy. People seem to want way too much for beat to shit E36 318i automatics around here - while you can pick up a E46 or E90 330i or 328i for $10k all day long that still drives like a new car.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

True it's hard to find one in good condition, same for e46s it seems. But if you can find a clean example of either you will be spending less than $5000 and you're still getting a lot of car for the money
      My Feedback

Comment

Update - it seems I forgot about R3V momentarily, and this thread that I started.

- Sat in, drove an E92 335i. Liked the driving position. Liked it a lot.
        - Checking out an E46 M3 with coveted Cinnamon interior today or tomorrow
        - Checking out an E39 530i M-sport this weekend in the Bay Area.

I really do like the E46 ZHP, but cannot seem to find one that I deem reasonably priced.

Will report back. :)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
          i used to be a "manual only" fan boy, now I love just being able to coast around and relax in an auto

the only thing I wish I could change is how lazy the auto is sometimes, they adapt to your driving style and if you're heavy footed then when you go to drive light footed the car doesn't go anywhere and you have to bury the pedal.. You basically have to give it some shit before you intend on giving it some shit.

You also cant flatten it turning and it wont kick down mid corner. even with the DSC off. Stupid but safer I suppose.
          this.

regardless of what you choose, sitting in traffic with a manual will get old. I was opposed to an auto for my whole life, but now when I get stuck in 405 traffic I just roll the windows down and turn the stereo up. #LAlife

I chose a 2008 C350 because it has plenty of power, looks great and Im not (really) tempted to modify it. Its fairly "old" where it doesnt try to do too many things for me. I might get a Renntech chip to fix some of the laziness MB has programmed in the 7speed, and maybe someday KW V1s, but thats it. This allows me to dump more money into the fun car. Having two modified cars is asking for two cars to be down and looking for a ride. Same feeling with two manual cars.

Time to adult Sina
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Time to adult Sina
            you sound like baba :)

jk - if I find a deal I really cannot resist, then I might cave.

btw - about to text u

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Since you haven't settled on a car yet I'll chime in for the e60. I have had my 525i 6-speed since 2012 and put close to 80k on it. I used to be a regional rep and have driven that thing up and down the east coast, 60k of the 80k came in the first 3 years of my ownership. It's currently at 165k and it has been dead reliable, only needing wear items and oil changes. It has been incredibly comfortable and with the 6-speed pretty capable on the highway, it is an excellent cruiser. It's just a nice and spacious silky smooth car I have really enjoyed. I happen to like the looks of it, too.
              2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
              1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
              1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
              1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                No e36 love? I'm really happy with my daily e36 328i that I found in good condition with the sport package. They're almost "classic" by now but are a significant step up from e30s in every way except they feel heavier, but that's just my opinion. I'm averaging 27mpg and the power and torque are more than adequate for daily use. Put the difference toward your student loans.
                that would be because 80 percent of E36 interiors and paintwork is flogged.
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                  - Checking out an E39 530i M-sport this weekend in the Bay Area.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, though I believe E39 M Sports were only offered in 540i flavor for the 2003 model year.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. Recently sold my E30 and am looking for a DD that offers a bit more spirit and engagement than my current DD (Toyota Tundra).

I test drove an E46 M3 last week, as there was one for sale locally and it was on my list of cars to check out. It only took about an hour of driving in various situations to realize that it was not the car I was looking for. S54 screams up high, but daily driving through town and in traffic was miserable. It just has no low end grunt. I may be jaded as my recent DD's have all been torque monsters, but I could not get over how weak it felt low end.

Personally, I am on the lookout for an E39 M5 (01-03 MY) as I think it may offer what I need.

For you, I'd recommend either the E39 530 or the 335i. Lots of friends have commented on how the 335 is just incredible and has a lot of upsides that make it desirable. The 530 is old enough to be easy to work on yourself, but with the right options installed it has enough tech to feel modern.
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I owned and daily drove a 2007 e92 328xi 6 spd for 5 years, put 90k on it, sold it with 110k on it and never had an issue. Mine was a sport model with sport seats which was a requirement for me.
                      Really nice ride, very fast (would be a huge upgrade over the M42), quiet, more than adequate stereo
                      The turbos have issues and really are stupid fast, faster than you need really
                      M cars scare me over maintenance possibilities

I sold the e92 to buy the 89 325i e30 coupe I drive now because I like older cars better.

The e92 was a great car, but you might consider a great shape e30 325i and rebuild the motor if needed

Fwiw I own a car for about 3 years before moving on to something different. I'd be interested in a 128i vert 6 spd sport if I lived in so cal again. I also like smaller bmw's vs the 5 series. Lighter and handle better
                      Last edited by gwb72tii; 08-30-2016, 05:23 PM.
                      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

09+ E60 of some variant, I daily my M5 and love it, if you don't want the power a 535i or 528i 09+ is a great car

Comment

135 if you are weaving, 5' if it's mostly laid back cruising. There are worse things than an older na bmw cost wise. I've driven the m235 auto and a 135is stick and they are both fun but the 1' with the stick was a blast!! Although it's small it doesn't feel like it compromises much safety.
                          '
                          BMW tech
                          Umass Amherst
                          05 wrx sti

Comment

Go for the 335i!!
                            I daily an e90 335i six speed
                            Its a blast to drive and stock it can do alot of things great.
                            It handles nice in the twisties does understeer a tad due to the stagger other wise its pretty neutral.
                            And you can run it at the drag strip all day long.
                            Give me an lsd and ill take mine to sonoma drift! The n54 is a beast of a motor.
                            if you do settle on an e92 make sure it has logic 7 audio.
                            The n54 is pretty easy to work on for what I've done so far. Did an alternator change a lot of little steps but theyre all easy and straight forward.
                            Outside of e30's the e9x flatform was the only newer bmw that appealed to me.

Comment

I dailied my E30 for the first 3 months I lived in LA. It got old super quick clutching through 2 hours of stop and go commute with no A/C. On a lower budget I opted for a CRV which was far from fun but very practical. Of your choices I'd go with a very clean E46 or an E90.
                              91 318is M50 swapped
                              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                I really enjoy my E90 330i as a daily driver. It's probably been more reliable than even my E30 was. In the last 2 years, the only failure was a burned out angel eye bulb and I had a coil pack work itself loose (replaced it, but I'm pretty sure if I just plugged it in, it would have worked - but I had already purchased the new one).

The PO did maintain it fairly well though. I'm still on the original water pump at 120k, and the 330i is the N52 as it was meant to be - with the 3 stage intake and a nice torque curve. You can do the 3 stage on the 328i but it will be more costly, plus the 330i gets better brakes, suspension etc. stock.

I haven't driven an E60, but I'm not thinking if you like the E30 a lot that it will really suit. The E90 is already a large enough car for a family of 4, but still feels "nimble" somehow. I would stick to a 3 series, personally.
                                I think that's a forgotten e90 because it was overshadowed by the 335i. In reality its a very fun, quick and reliable car.
                                One thing to remember is that the 325i/328i/330i all have the same motor, the only change is the tune, intake manifold and exhaust. A 325i can easily reach 330i power with the three stage (2 disa valves) intake manifold and a tune.
                                Build Threads:
                                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                                X