Headlight/bulb options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight/bulb options?

I know this has probably been asked a million times but either I'm terrible at research or nobody has quite answered what I'm trying to achieve.

**Please feel free to delete or move if necessary :)**

I've been looking into the idea of wanting HIDs or LEDs and I've noticed that there aren't too many options it seems, unless I'm missing something.

I've heard that you kind of have to rig an HID kit and LED might be a little easier, I'm not sure. I've seen around in a couple of other forums that a couple guys were making kits but stopped doing so.

My goal here is to have either white or blue headlights (halogen really throw me off after getting used to so many HID and LED cars) I know someone also threw the idea of trying to find a white bulb halogen?

I wanted to hear your guys input/experience with them!
    @BaggedMW

yes you're quite right, this question has been asked and answered a million times. Lots of people have done what you're talking about.

it all starts with what lights you have now. If you have sealed beams, you have to convert to the ellipsoid type if you want to run HID or LED

the current consensus is modern HID kits will work with ellipsoids. There are also a few people on the forum selling LEDs which are mostly plug and play.

Usually you have to drill a hole in the back of the ellipsoid headlight housing for the ballast or back of the bulb to fit through.

there was a guy here selling adapters to convert to a morimoto mini H1 xenon kit but it seems he's not making them anymore.

There are two main ellipsoid designs: USA and euro. The euro use H1 bulbs while the USA ones use 9006. The difference is in how the bulb mounts and the plugs. You will likely have to adapt the plugs to your car no matter what, however if your car is a 1988 or 1989, it will have US ellipsoids as a standard option.

I have LEDs in euro ellipsoids, which use an H1 bulb. I got them from the guy on here.. think his name is Byron. He has a green late model convertible and lives in socal. He has a for sale thread and a website where you can buy stuff. All I had to do to get them to fit was cut out part of the back of the housing and crimp on some new connectors to my car's headlight harness.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Damn, I meant to respond to this but it's been a long weekend so far. But I've also been meaning to take apart my grille to get to my headlamps and see what kind of bulbs are in there. I mean you may even be able to tell me. I have Hella Ellipsoids (came with it when I bought it)
      @BaggedMW

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfChugs View Post
        Damn, I meant to respond to this but it's been a long weekend so far. But I've also been meaning to take apart my grille to get to my headlamps and see what kind of bulbs are in there. I mean you may even be able to tell me. I have Hella Ellipsoids (came with it when I bought it)
        You don't need to pull the grille off to get to the bulbs, in the engine bay you can pull off the plastic covers that cover the back of the lights.

Saw a thread the other day that was selling plug and play LED's. Only thing you need to do is drill a hole in the back for wiring and a heatsink. this would be the way i would do it.

If you just want a brighter color you can just buy white halogen bulbs though.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKing View Post
          You don't need to pull the grille off to get to the bulbs, in the engine bay you can pull off the plastic covers that cover the back of the lights.

Saw a thread the other day that was selling plug and play LED's. Only thing you need to do is drill a hole in the back for wiring and a heatsink. this would be the way i would do it.

If you just want a brighter color you can just buy white halogen bulbs though.
          If white halogen bulbs could be bought, I might give those a try! it's just a matter of figuring out which bulb it takes (off to pop the hood!) :D
          @BaggedMW

Comment

Sorry for double post in advance but I just checked (jeez that plastic is packed in there pretty tight!) but They're Sylvania HB4's
            @BaggedMW

Comment

HB4 is the same as 9006, a low beam with 90 degree connector.

Philips makes a high output replacement that fits after a small tweak to the mounting flanges (I can do this for you), plugs straight in, and makes twice as much light as the HB4 / 9006. It's called 9012, and is a HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflector) and is really white.

It draws the same watts as stock lamps, puts out double the lumens. Very easy upgrade.

Let me know if you would like a pair or more info, I usually find them on sale somewhere or other and can modify the flange so they go in easily and quickly.

Andy
              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
                HB4 is the same as 9006, a low beam with 90 degree connector.

Philips makes a high output replacement that fits after a small tweak to the mounting flanges (I can do this for you), plugs straight in, and makes twice as much light as the HB4 / 9006. It's called 9012, and is a HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflector) and is really white.

It draws the same watts as stock lamps, puts out double the lumens. Very easy upgrade.

Let me know if you would like a pair or more info, I usually find them on sale somewhere or other and can modify the flange so they go in easily and quickly.

Andy
                Interested in this option Andy - can you shoot me some more info?
                Thanks! John

Comment

I remember years ago these HIR bulbs being the hot bulb in the Landcruiser world. The ones I had were actually made by John Deere.
                  1986 E30 325E
                  1989 E30 325iX
                  2003 E54 X5.
                  1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                  1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                  2009 VW Touareg
                  2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Relights

I have an 87 with sealed beams. Looking to upgrade to cities zbeams or similar Hellas. How much wattage can the stock harness handle?
                    1989 325ix(sold)
                    1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

Sealed beam replacement - a great idea

Originally posted by Lenwood View Post
                      I have an 87 with sealed beams. Looking to upgrade to cities zbeams or similar Hellas. How much wattage can the stock harness handle?
                      I'd suggest they can handle stock wattage only; pushing it on a 30 year old harness is asking for trouble... but this begs the question - are you aware there are several great lamp options that draw stock watts? Much brighter, same watts. I have several that say things like "+50, +90, +110" - meaning "percent over stock output." They have good lifespan, too. Clear glass, no 'Hyper-White' blue tint gimmicks.

I also have access to some fantastic new headlights - Halogen sealed beam replacements - from CibiƩ and Hella. They drop right into the buckets.

These lights have far superior optics to almost everything on the market, - Hella BiFocus lows have a sharp cutoff, so no glare to opposing traffic; extreme light output where you need it, and none where you don't; a 'city light' option; plug-in simple installation. Also, can be wired to stay on like Euro lows so you always get full illumination, a simple trick with the relays. Highs are super bright CibiƩ with a long-as-hell beam throw.

Let me know if you want to look at a set, or even order some, I'll be glad to help.

Andy
                      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

These will plug right in to the stock sealed beam harness. They also fit perfectly in your car. But you will need to cut up your headlight housing.

AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          These will plug right in to the stock sealed beam harness.

They also fit perfectly in your car... you will need to cut up your headlight housing.

I'm confused - is this cutting up of the headlight housing a trivial matter - or does it mean they don't fit perfectly until you do so?

Do you have a set of these? I'd love to see a comparison, A to B, of the beam pattern against a white wall, both lights aimed properly, with a constant camera setup - same aperture, exposure time, etc. This would be very helpful - making a visual comparison - so we could perhaps consider them with good information.

Amazon isn't going to provide any, that's certain.

Comment

I don't... hate those...
                            @BaggedMW

Comment

Re lighting

GUYS HERE IS A GREAT US BASED SUPPLIER FOR E30 LIGHTING AND OTHERS.

WWW.RALLYLIGHTS.COM
                              1989 325ix(sold)
                              1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

Working...
                              X