Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with the E30 turn signal relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal with the E30 turn signal relay?

I don't think this counts as technical so I posted here, but tow if needed.

I noticed this back when I had my 2002. The turn signal in that car (and basically any other car) flashes evenly right away. The E30 flasher relay is different for some reason. When you first depress the turn signal stalk, the light stays on for 0.5 second. After that first flash, the relay clicks every 0.25 second.

Why is the first click twice as long as the others? It happens in every E30 I've driven.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Probably going past the click point on the turn stalk resets the flash interval. When you're pulling the stalk down or up, before the click point, the turn signal is activated, then as you transition over the click point, the interval is probably being reset, but it happens so fast the light never goes out.

Comment

your turn signals work?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
        Probably going past the click point on the turn stalk resets the flash interval. When you're pulling the stalk down or up, before the click point, the turn signal is activated, then as you transition over the click point, the interval is probably being reset, but it happens so fast the light never goes out.
        If I understand what you're saying, that's not it. You can hold the stalk at the point where the relay is first activated and it will still wait the 0.5 second.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        your turn signals work?
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Nothing, huh?

Comment

Not sure what you're talking about. How about a video?

Are you saying the blinkers are fast? or are you just complaining about the light turning on first before flashing? Typically it does that when there's a resistance problem like bad contacts or copper based bulbs.
            Last edited by reelizmpro; 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Sure, I can do that!

Comment

Here's the link, since I still don't know how to embed with Flickr:

Comment

Looks normal to me
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I've noticed it too. I like it because I can change lanes with only one blink ;)

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Yup

Its delayed compare to the others. I have to look at my car and see the timing sequence. I never really noticed but I suspect you might be correct. The intervals you would think, would be the same.

Comment

Functions exactly as mine.
                        1990 325i
                        2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not questioning whether or not it's unusual for an E30; I know it's normal, every E30 I've driven is this way.

My question is why is the first flash twice as long as the others? And if someone knows that answer, maybe I can find a way to make it...not twice as long as the others.

Comment

Seems pretty OCD to me... if that's how they all are, what is the point of working out how to shorten the first flash of your indicators by 0.25 of a second?
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                              Seems pretty OCD to me... if that's how they all are, what is the point of working out how to shorten the first flash of your indicators by 0.25 of a second?
                              Because I'm curious why it's different? That's really it.

Comment

Working...
                              X