Position 3 Users, Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position 3 Users, Please Help!

I haven't found a single person on this forum running position three. I know they're out there, I just must be terrible at searching for them. If there are any position three threads, please show me a link. That's the first part of this thread, the rest of these questions are mainly for P3 users, but maybe P1 and P2 users will be able to help as well.

So first of all, if you have a viscous fan (that would be P3 users only) could you measure the distance between your fan blade tip and the radiator wall? Here is a picture of what exactly I'm talking about. Currently where my engine is sitting, the fan is about 2 inches above the radiator wall- which is obviously not good.

This leads me to my second question. The oil pan is currently sitting on the PS rack, which isn't good. Once I unbolt the PS rack from the subframe, the oil pan then drops about 1/2 inch then is resting on the subframe. This still doesn't get that fan blade flush or below the radiator housing to clear the hood. What I want to know is if the 318i and 325i subframes in front are the same. If the 325i subframe is different, did anybody have the problem I'm having? If they are the same, what I think I'll end up doing is notching the current subframe and welding new mounts for the PS rack in order to get that oil pan sitting an inch or two further down. Does this make sense?

I know most of you haven't encountered these problems since you used P1 or P2, that's why I wish I knew of somebody running P3 I could speak to.

Did you mean the P3 from Timo ?
    Do you have G260 or G265 ?
    http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Originally posted by drift View Post
      Did you mean the P3 from Timo ?
      Do you have G260 or G265 ?
      Yes, when I'm referring to P1, P2, and P3, I'm talking about the positions that www.e30.de created.

I've got a Getrag 260. The Getrag 265 is from the e30 m3 and has a removable bellhousing. I wish I had the 265 for it's removable bellhousing, but I'm making due with the 260.

Comment

you need an electric fan, disconnect the engine fan
        '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker27 View Post
          you need an electric fan, disconnect the engine fan

This is the easier approach, your oil pan should be 1/4 inch above the rack, good luck.
          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Ok, is it oem 524td fan clutch and blade ?
            http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
              Yes, when I'm referring to P1, P2, and P3, I'm talking about the positions that www.e30.de created.

I've got a Getrag 260. The Getrag 265 is from the e30 m3 and has a removable bellhousing. I wish I had the 265 for it's removable bellhousing, but I'm making due with the 260.
              The 265 close ratio is from an e30 m3. My 635 has a reg 265 with removeable bell housing.

And are you close to the fire wall or far away. Just use an electric fan. End Of story

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

If they are the same, what I think I'll end up doing is notching the current subframe and welding new mounts for the PS rack in order to get that oil pan sitting an inch or two further down. Does this make sense?
                Andrew, think twice about doing this. I know you are dead set on running a clutch fan, but moving the steering rack down has it's own cons.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

What rubber mounts are you using? e30? e28?
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Also, you might consider a smaller fan. I think one of the Icelandic guys that's running an M30 with a clutch fan clipped the ends of the fan to fit under.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

I know my plan of running the viscous isn't pleasant for everyone to hear, but I'm not taking shortcuts, I'm doing it right. No electric fans! (besides the one for the condenser). If anybody has any of the answers to my original questions i'd appreciate the help.

What rubber mounts are you using? e30? e28?
                      Will be using IE e30 polyurethane mounts.

Also, you might consider a smaller fan. I think one of the Icelandic guys that's running an M30 with a clutch fan clipped the ends of the fan to fit under.
                      I actually had the same thought, but I'm already using the 324td fan clutch and blade. That gives me a thinner, but bigger diameter fan. I'll make the trade to get that clearance for the radiator.

Comment

I know my plan of running the viscous isn't pleasant for everyone to hear, but I'm not taking shortcuts, I'm doing it right. No electric fans!
                        If I was your father I would slap you upside the head.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

I agree.

Comment

How do you have your radiator mounted?
                            Is it sitting on the stock mounts? Perhaps move your radiator up, instead
                            of moving the engine (and everything with it) down.

Sorry to be offtopic, but are you trying to copy the e30.de mounts or why
                            do you need to know where the "position 3" is?

My valve cover is like 3mm away from touching the sound deadened on my firewall,
                            and no way a clutch fan will fit still.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                              How do you have your radiator mounted?
                              Is it sitting on the stock mounts? Perhaps move your radiator up, instead
                              of moving the engine (and everything with it) down.

Sorry to be offtopic, but are you trying to copy the e30.de mounts or why
                              do you need to know where the "position 3" is?

My valve cover is like 3mm away from touching the sound deadened on my firewall,
                              and no way a clutch fan will fit still.
                              I don't think you understand, the reason I want the fan clutch and the rest of the engine down is because right now, a hood won't fit on! The fan sits way too high. I'm not copying e30.de's mounts at all. I am using their labeling for engine positions sort of, but when I say position three, I'm just referring to having the engine far back enough to use a fan clutch. Does anybody know of a build thread in which somebody used a fan clutch with their m30 swap?

Comment

Working...
                              X