Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut brace and X brace question?

Hi Guys

Thought I would post this on in the track section since you guys put your cars through alot more then the rest of us. Anyways my car has bone stock suspnsion that has probably not been refeshed in 10 years. I am now upgradings and refreshing her with Billi sports, H&R race, poly bushes (offset subframe bushes) UUC swaybar 22/19, GC tourning camber plates, I also run the car in Dunlop Star Specs.

So I am deciding on weather I need Strut braces and a cross brace? What are your opinions on these dose the E30 need them? I currently don't track the car but will be once I have the suspension refeshed, it is also my DD.

cheers guys
    sigpic

With all that done, I don't think you're going to feel much of a different with a strut brace.
    I have no experience with x-braces, though they appear to be more beneficial towards verts everyone says.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

What about bending the chassis or is that just an urban legend. I though the strut braces helped to stop you from bending the struts under high loads like racing?
      sigpic

Comment

Track the car after you refresh your suspension and learn to drive it. No need to go buying a whole bunch of parts off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd View Post
          Track the car after you refresh your suspension and learn to drive it. No need to go buying a whole bunch of parts off the bat.
          Yup, thats just money spent for nothing, its not like your racing or will even be able to push the car to the point where the difference would be appreciated. Just go have fun driving.

Comment

Cool I see where you guys are comming and I understand what you are all saying, and I completely agree with you but it dose not answer my question as to the benifits of the strut and x brace and if the E30 really needs one. The only real reason as to why I would get one is to keep the car from twisting but I have been told that the E30 dose not really need a x and strut brace.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              Cool I see where you guys are comming and I understand what you are all saying, and I completely agree with you but it dose not answer my question as to the benifits of the strut and x brace and if the E30 really needs one. The only real reason as to why I would get one is to keep the car from twisting but I have been told that the E30 dose not really need a x and strut brace.
              I bought the mason front and rear braces and the sub frame brace. The biggest difference I noticed is that the car turns in better and the steering is more responsive.
              I do agree on learning to drive the car. But I also think they make a difference. The front one more so than the rear. The best upgrade you can make is the rebuild the rear subframe.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

personaly I have my doubts on how stiff the chassis is on our 24 ish old cars. generaly I also feel strut tower bars and that sort of thing are for "fine tuning" your suspension.

check out this vid, it will give you a good idea on strut tower bars and chassis reinforcments

:borg:

Comment

FWIW, my car creaks less during every day turning after i installed my hartge front strut brace.
                  Have I noticed a handling difference? Not really no.... I still have OEM suspension parts....

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I've not seen any difference in lap times in my Spec E30 with or without the strut brace, nor have I heard of any other racers finding a difference. The brace probably does make a small amount of difference, but other factors have a bigger affect. I think it is a good thing to have as it will lessen flexing of the shock towers, but don't expect noticably better handling from a brace.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Sweet thanks guys for the help. I think ill will get everything else on then when I have some more monies ill get the strut braces just because.
                      sigpic

Comment

The strut brace made a noticable difference on my Vert. but not on my coupe. I'd agree wait til you got track time, its like headers good ones are $1000 and if the guy beating you EVERY weekend has them maybe you need them. I allways try to look at $$$ per HP and or seconds on lap times.

Comment

Working...
                        X