HX35 oil pressure too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HX35 oil pressure too high?

I put a HX35 on my m30 car and it started spewing oil out of the first start up. I read in the DSM forums that the oil pressure could be too high on a gasoline engine. Has anyone had experience with an HX35 on a gasoline engine?

I have a -4an feed (from the oil filter housing) and -10an drain. The turbo came off a running diesel, no shaft play but it didn't quite feel like it was spinning freely. Ordered a rebuild kit but wondering if I should get an oil restricter for the feed?
    m106 1990 e30
    e36 daily
    e32 cruiser

Where was the oil coming from? I never had an oil restrictor when running a holset my old car, and I don't know anyone who had a Holset and used an oil restrictor.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

I ran a -3an line to mine and never had an issue maybe your line is too big
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Your oil drain sounds way too small.

Also a -3an is plenty for an unrestricted feed.
        292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

10AN works fine for me, gotta have a nice straight drain with minimal bends in it. I don't know exactly what size the drain line was on my holset but it was probably around the same size as the ID of the 5/8" hose on my current setup.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

10 an was fine for me
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Oil is coming from the oil filter housing. Maybe I'll drop down to a 3an feed. Also ordered a stock cummins drain tube that I'll adapt to fit in my bay.
              m106 1990 e30
              e36 daily
              e32 cruiser

Comment

I have a -4AN feed, -10 return, and a restrictor built into the turbo feed fitting... apparently it only had 5k on it when I bought it, but it needed a rebuild, so I think I'm going to pop the restrictor out and open it up to -3.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I ordered a restrictor which I'm going to drill out to 1/8" ID which it the ID of -3an. Increased the drain to 3/4" ID but it has a pretty nasty bend near the block since I'm using the stock m106 drain with a goodntight manifold.
                  m106 1990 e30
                  e36 daily
                  e32 cruiser

Comment

Just for completeness, I pulled my -4AN restrictor out and it had maybe a 1/16" hole in it. This turbo was supposedly rebuilt 5k ago, but had bad shaft play already, so I opened it up to 3/32, which I figured was much more realistic.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

i believe holset calls for a -3 AN restrictor on the feed. a -10 drain line should be adequate. I'll see if i can find the holset quote. I think its in the general turbo thread

edit: i think it was on the e30 tech general turbo section, which appears to be down right now.
                      Last edited by Simple_Smith; 07-30-2016, 05:30 PM.
                      1989 JDM-Tech 2
                      2010 335 D for daily

Comment

If you've got an unrestricted feed, you need a big drain.

Lots of the oil burning issues arise because the cartridge gets pressurised and it pushes past the dynamic seals on the shaft (in extreme cases damaging them).
                        A suitably sized drain ensures this doesn't happen, as does ensuring the drain is above the normal oil level in the sump.
                        Being oil cooled cartridges they like to have plenty of oil flowing through them.

Take a look the size of the hole for the oil drain, or the size of an OE 6BT oil drain tube, they are well bigger than a -10an ID.

Mine is a fabricated tube of 19mm ID (or 3/4")
                        292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Working...
                        X