Star Spec size input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Spec size input needed

My current wheel and tire setup is 245/35/17 GS-D3 rear and 235/40/17 front on staggered bmw LTW 17x7.5-17x8.5. My tires are old and hard and it is difficult to maintain traction while driving aggresively. My last auto-X really showed me that the tires were done. So I am looking at star spec's and yes I have read the debate abou the R-S3 and the Star Spec's and given that I live where it gets cold and sometimes rains I am going for star specs. My question is how big do you think I can go tire wise considering that I have maybe 5-10 mm clearance in front of and behind my current setup. Normaly I would just pull the trigger and figure it out trial and error style but tires are not cheap so I seek the guidance of those who may have come before me. My arches are pulled and lips are rolled to clear my current setup.

I was originally just going to try the 245/40/17 rear but I hear they are wide as shit. According to tirerack.com there is only a .1 difference in section width vs my current setup but the star spec's have no listed tread width.

I am currently running a 12mm spacer up front to clear the coilover adjuster with the current 234/40/17. I can order a new spacer as my studs will support up to 18 mm of spacer but I dont want to just blindly throw tire size at a grip issue.

I am not sure how much more I could roll or pull without destroying my fenders. Thanks in advance for any input. Current setup pics.

1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
    5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

I went from the kumho xs's to star specs in a 205/50/15, and noticed absolutely no major difference width wise. I would imagine you should be fine, plus tirerack is currently running an 80 dollar mail in rebate offer on their star specs.

Thad.
    Need BMW parts?
    http://www.blunttech.com
    or face ultimate peril.

Comment

That Mail in rebate is like crack. I just can say no to some starspec goodness and I live 15 min from the Tire Rack warehouse.

Comment

I have 195/50/15 and 215/45/17 'specs on my cars. They are a wide fitting tire.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Do you have any room for adjustment on your coilover setup for more camber in the front?

It also seems as though you may be able to raise the car slightly and get some more clearance.
          Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
          sigpic

Comment

My fronts are adjustable from 2 to 6 degrees. I am thinking about doing 235/40/17 and a set of 225/45/17's I am just not sure about 235 on 8.5.

Comment

The specs are a tad wide fitting. However I think those should fit pretty good.

Plus you have room for more camber in the front. Which will help your turn in anyway.

And if you raised the rear just a tad I think it would help even more
              Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
                I am just not sure about 235 on 8.5.
                Why? That's basically perfect for a street tire 235.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I run this width on 17x8.5 K1's and on 17x8 System II's
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Cool I am going to pull the trigger on the 235/40-225/45 setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X