Lithiums - E30 / M50TU Eaton-M90 Supercharged Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithiums - E30 / M50TU Eaton-M90 Supercharged Thread

Well - After the M50 Swap and some fun an the Auto-X course I have decided to add some moar $$$$ & powa to my little car.

I bet your thinking this: Yup another Idiot with a junkyard supercharger and a silly dream... - That's me!!!

Luckily I can fabricate almost anything.
    - I have buddies that like to help me out with my silly projects - I am lucky to get some really cool parts made for a case of beer here & there.
    However my buddies & I are not in the business of making custom parts, we have wives families & jobs etc... SORRY!!!
    Please don't ask.

Thanks!!!

And I will complete this project - I am very driven.

So >>>>>> Here we go.

- I decided on a Blower because I wanted something I could tune myself (With some help of course)
    - My budget is around $1500.00
    - I also wanted to build it myself and learn about FI
    - I'm after quick throttle response - Moar bottom end power + a FUN car to daily drive & Autocross.

- I plan on tuning it with a Moats Emulator on Tunerpro software & a wideband with Logworks .

- I'm only looking for 5.5lbs boost to start - My M50 is stock.
    - Bosch Bypass Valves (2x)
    - Stage Two will likely be: bigger injectors - Thicker Head Gasket - ARP bolts & more boost.
    >>> Time will tell...

Eaton M90 Mounted in the AC Compressor position - Running through a front mounted Intercooler & into the stock intake Manifold.

More pictures & info to come. Enjoy & thanks for looking.
    Tim.
    Last edited by Lithium; 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM. Reason: Updates
    I Love my Bimmer. :up:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316184

Answer to a previous question - Re: Throttle Cable.
    In order to make an extra long throttle cable I bought a DIY Cable kit from a motorcycle shop - Used it and the ends from the BMW cable to make a Frankenstein Cable (It took about an hour)
    Thanks.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Any concerns about heat having it there? I'd assume some pro wrapped and shielded manifolds along with a shield on the blower would mitigate all of that though. I like the way it's located though.

Comment

Dude, this is so rad. This is exactly what I'm piecing together, you're proof it can work.

How's it drive?

What pulley is on the front of the engine?

Do you have measurements for the bolt holes on the block for the A/C? I'm building the brackets in Solidworks and then milling them out, but my car is in storage right now.
          REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Any concerns about heat having it there? I'd assume some pro wrapped and shielded manifolds along with a shield on the blower would mitigate all of that though. I like the way it's located though.
            No problems with heat - It's cramped & the intake is close to the headers but the blower does not run too hot & the intercooler cools the charged air no problem.

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
            Dude, this is so rad. This is exactly what I'm piecing together, you're proof it can work.

How's it drive?

What pulley is on the front of the engine?

Do you have measurements for the bolt holes on the block for the A/C? I'm building the brackets in Solidworks and then milling them out, but my car is in storage right now.
            It drives great - I have about 10000K on it.
            Pulleys are Crank 5.45" & Blower 3.13" (Makes ecaxtly 5.5PSI)
            I used transfer punch screws for the bolt locations so I have no idea where they really are / Sorry...

Comment

Moar

Piks of shortening the snout - It was a bunch of work...

Comment

You used a second accessory pully on the front of the motor?

Do you have more info on what you did to machine down the snout?

Are you on stock engine management?
                REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Damn. Lovin' it. I want one.

Comment

Question- did you use aluminum or steel plate there?

I need to get the dimensions for my brackets etc figured out asap and yours looks great !

Comment

Originally posted by Q5Quint View Post
                      Question- did you use aluminum or steel plate there?

I need to get the dimensions for my brackets etc figured out asap and yours looks great !
                      Thanks.
                      It's aluminuum plate 1/4" (The steel plate you see in one of the photo's is part of the tranny jack I am using to hold it up for measuring)

I hope that helps.

Comment

How many hours/$'s of machine shop time and parts would one expect to spend to do the snout shortening, not including the M90?

(I'm not asking about the bracket, piping either...)

Comment

does the snout of a m60 not fit? (I assume it does not)

Also check out this insanity. mp90 has a shorter snout?http://www.miataturbo.net/build-thre...0-going-60073/

edit: will order some alum parts asap- have a buddy with a tig so we will see what happens.

Comment

Dont do iT!!!

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                            How many hours/$'s of machine shop time and parts would one expect to spend to do the snout shortening, not including the M90?

(I'm not asking about the bracket, piping either...)

In order to shorten the snout you need to mill the snout case down by 2" on a CNC & mill a new circlip groove.
                            That's about a 3 hour job on the CNC
                            Then you need to grind the shaft shorter by 2" to match - tapped a hole in the end instead of re threading and mill a keeway slot in the end.
                            That took another three hours on manual machines.

Anyone who is thinking of Supercharging thier car themself - It's allot of work & money, if you don't have access to machinery for free.
                            This was way too much effort and $$$ to be honest.
                            There is no way I could put a kit together or offer services that would even come close to something somebody would want to buy.
                            It would be a recipie for me not making any $$ on it - The customer paying to much fo what they get and both parties being dissapointed.
                            I just wanted to do something on my own & learn - Luckily I have access to design & machinery and a free shop to work in.
                            If I had to pay for all this, it could have been easily up to 8K (For 5.5psi would be rediculious)

I will bump up the boost & keep tuning, but that's just more time & $$$ on this quirky project...

My car is fun but Ive learned I would never do it again. It was way too much effort.
                            Next time I would swap in a S54 & go straight to the racetrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Q5Quint View Post
                              does the snout of a m60 not fit? (I assume it does not)

Also check out this insanity. mp90 has a shorter snout?http://www.miataturbo.net/build-thre...0-going-60073/

edit: will order some alum parts asap- have a buddy with a tig so we will see what happens.
                              Nice build on the Mazda - Thanks for the link.
                              I dont know if an M60 snout would work - Sorry.
                              Aparently there was a shorter version of the M90 snout on a Range Rover or something like it back in the mid 90's but I have never seen one.
                              The first supercharger I had ever seen was the one now in my car.

Sorry I am not much help.
                              Tim.

Comment

Working...
                              X