Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the mitsubishi 16g evo turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the mitsubishi 16g evo turbo?

My friend has an Evo 9 and is upgrading his turbo setup so he is willing to let me take it off his hands if I install his upgrade parts for him. Sounds like a good deal right? Well, before I take on the work I want to make sure that this turbo will do what I am looking for it to do. He says it makes over 500 wheel on e85 for those cars.

Seems like it should make 250-300 wheel for me then right? I am NOT looking for a big fast top end spooling turbo, I have a built RX7 for that. I am looking for a small turbo that has a punchy low and mid-range and fades up top like a lot of stock cars. This is for an 89 325ix.

This is the info I was able to find on the turbo.
    p/n = 49378-01570 (GSR)
    p/n = 49378-01571 (RS)
    Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (GSR)
    Turbo = TD05HRA-16G6mC-10.5T (RS)
    Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
    TD05HR turbine GSR = Inconel (steel alloy),
    TD05HRA turbine RS = Titanium alloy
    Compressor 16G6 = Aluminium (GSR)
    Inducer = 48.3mm
    Exducer = 68mm
    Compressor 16G6mC = Magnesium (RS)
    Inducer = 48.3mm
    Exducer = 68mm
    Turbine housing = single flapper

From what I keep reading, the h1c and hx35 are too large for what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by driftxsequence; 08-25-2016, 09:17 PM.
    325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

It should be a good turbo for your goals.

An acquaintance here in NZ put one on an RB20DET in his R32 skyline and was able to get ~300whp out of it without much trouble at all, was only running 16psi or so IIRC.

They are also as tough a hell. Running on Group N rally cars, they suck through a 32mm inlet restrictor, pumping out 18-20psi and anti-lag on the hotside all weekend, and often survive for 3-4 rallies before a rebuild is needed.

And in time if you want more out of it, you could drop in a 20g comp.wheel, or a full hybrid replacement, like a HP Green or Red. And are cheap to rebuild.

Go for it I say!
    292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Thanks for the insight!

Looks like this will allow me to bolt it right up to a standard manifold as well.

325IX Build Thread
      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Nice find, just get a tidy twinscroll T3 manifold and you'll be away laughing!

Keep us posted on how you go!
        292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Working...
        X