Turbo and compression ration questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo and compression ration questions

Im building a 2.7i stroker turbo for drifting, I have a 78mm Turbonetics hurricane, looking for high numbers, and thinking about running around 20psi. This is my first build so I need a lot of brains to pick. I'm combining a eta block with a I head which I read has a 8.4:1 ratio. I'm installing a .120 mls headgasket and was wondering what my ratio would look like with that. I'm also using arp head studs and was wondering what else should be upgraded for high boost. Everything included, not just the engine. I don't have money to blow (yes I know this stuff is expensive) but I only want to upgrade what's necessary.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are plenty of threads and information out there, trust me, I'm researching. But would like to pick some brains and learn new stuff. Thanks!

That's an awfully thick head gasket and an awfully large turbo (those are usually on engines with twice the displacement of an M20). Sounds like a recipe for an enormous amount of turbo lag.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

sqrt((boost/14.7)+1) x CR=ECR

sqrt=square root
      boost=psi of boost
      CR=static compression ratio of the motor
      ECR=effective compression ratio

((20/14.7)+1x8.4=ECR
      ECR=19.8285714
      19.8285714=need good tune + high octane gas + retard timing

Found this hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by Jdurb729 View Post
        Im building a 2.7i stroker turbo for drifting, I have a 78mm Turbonetics hurricane, looking for high numbers, and thinking about running around 20psi. This is my first build so I need a lot of brains to pick. I'm combining a eta block with a I head which I read has a 8.4:1 ratio. I'm installing a .120 mls headgasket and was wondering what my ratio would look like with that. I'm also using arp head studs and was wondering what else should be upgraded for high boost. Everything included, not just the engine. I don't have money to blow (yes I know this stuff is expensive) but I only want to upgrade what's necessary.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are plenty of threads and information out there, trust me, I'm researching. But would like to pick some brains and learn new stuff. Thanks!
        Lemme get this straight, you want a "high numbers" drift build and you "don't have money to blow"? GTFO... Unless you have 20k to sink into this build your shit is going to break every time you go out to "drift"

Cheap
        Reliable
        Fast

You only get to pick 2
        2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Man has a point. You don't build a race car with hopes and dreams. I takes countless hours, and a deep pocket. I'm having trouble just getting mine street legal much less making it into a drift/race street car. Paid $700 for the car and so far have dropped almost 3k. I know that's not a lot but considering I got a sweet deal on a wrecked donor car. If I were to not have the do or car I would probably be looking at around 7-8k easy not including tools and labor. I have a friend that has spent over 20k on his e30 and besides the s54(I think) it all restored to factory. Cars are money pits, not as bad as boats though. But anyway take your time and do it right and have fun.

Comment

Working...
          X