Weird clutch behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird clutch behavior

So my car has been sitting for a month or so, and I went to get it going again today. I started it no problem, with a jump of course, but then when I went to put it in gear, it wouldn't let me. So I turned it off and tried starting it in gear with the clutch in, but it acted like it was still in gear! (moved etc).

This is a brand new clutch, maybe 20k miles on it. What could be wrong? I drove it around and it acted ok...is something just sticking?

There is nothing wrong with your clutch.

Something is wrong with the hydrulics.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Well, that's a good start...but I'm not clear on what that means. Call me an idiot.

Does this mean the slave cylinder or master cylinder? If so, how do I determine just what's wrong?

Comment

Is it pretty humid where you live? Was the weather particularly wet while the car was sitting unused? Had you been driving aggressively prior to shutting the car off and parking it? If the hydraulics check out your clutch disc may be stuck to the flywheel and/or your pressure plate may not be releasing. Get some friends to push start you and after it's running and you're moving, push in the clutch pedal and then slam on the brakes. If it is stuck, that'll break it loose. I had it happen on a Conquest TSI once after a "buddy" of mine overheated the clutch building boost and doing burnouts (I found this out later; he ended up footing the bill for a new clutch). I've also had the clutch assembly rust up from sitting and had to be done this way to free it up. Good Luck.

(Edit) Nevermind...I neglected the part where you drove it around...Do what Jordan suggested; check the clutch hydraulics...

Comment

Originally posted by EverWiser
          Is it pretty humid where you live? Was the weather particularly wet while the car was sitting unused? Had you been driving aggressively prior to shutting the car off and parking it? If the hydraulics check out your clutch disc may be stuck to the flywheel and/or your pressure plate may not be releasing. Get some friends to push start you and after it's running and you're moving, push in the clutch pedal and then slam on the brakes. If it is stuck, that'll break it loose. I had it happen on a Conquest TSI once after a "buddy" of mine overheated the clutch building boost and doing burnouts (I found this out later; he ended up footing the bill for a new clutch). I've also had the clutch assembly rust up from sitting and had to be done this way to free it up. Good Luck.
          da HA! You nailed it pal. I was "driving hard" right before I shut 'er down - I was trying to get it back in the garage with all the snow, and it required a lot of revving and shifting between 1st and reverse, etc. I'll try your little fix and if it works, I'ma gonna paypal you 5 bucks for being a good guy. :)

Comment

Working...
          X