Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I replace the check panel with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried to take pic showing the ambient light working at night but I couldn't turn off my flash on my phone. I'll try it with my camera. but here are the pics of my install and where I ran the wire. It was pretty simple to run it down the A pillar to the headlight switch area. Again, I just taped into the hot wire of the bulb that illuminates the panel pictured.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    2007 X3
    1992 M Tech Cabrio
    1988 Cabrio - sold
    2001 X5 - sold
    1997 e36 328 - gave to son

Comment

Damn, excellent job!

If you could get a picture of the rear where you tapped in, that would be great, but I understand that being a lot of work!

As for the center dome light, I was contemplating cutting the wire board and then soldering the positive and negative, and negative switched from the rear lights!
      sigpic

Comment

Not sure I understand your question but if you are asking where it tapped in for power, the first picture shows where you turn on your headlights. There is a bulb there that illuminates the panel when your lights are turned on. I tapped the hot line of that bulb so that any time I turn on my headlights, the ambient lights come on also. If I misunderstood your question, sorry! Also, my car is a vert so my dome light was right next to the check panel. I used the wiring for that to connect the spotlights. Have not figured out how to wire the door activated center dome light yet.
        sigpic
        2007 X3
        1992 M Tech Cabrio
        1988 Cabrio - sold
        2001 X5 - sold

Comment

Oh okay no, you cleared it up!

I was just wondering if you could get a picture of where you tapped in, for the ambient light, behind the light panel. Im sure it will be clear enough to see when I open it up.

And yeah i got the side ones going from before, but I was still hung up on the door center light too!

Thanks!
          sigpic

Comment

Don't want to take apart my dash/speedo just to take a picture of the bulb and wire. When you go in there, you will find it.
            sigpic
            2007 X3
            1992 M Tech Cabrio
            1988 Cabrio - sold
            2001 X5 - sold

Comment

Yeah I figured it would be some work haha. But you had to take all of that apart to get to that light / tap in spot??

Hmmm.... Maybe I will reconsider going to my clock and not that light.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pb34 View Post
                Yeah I figured it would be some work haha. But you had to take all of that apart to get to that light / tap in spot??

Hmmm.... Maybe I will reconsider going to my clock and not that light.
                No. I was in there doing something else and took advantage of the opportunity. You can access it by removing the knee bolster and reaching under the dash though it is very awkward.
                sigpic
                2007 X3
                1992 M Tech Cabrio
                1988 Cabrio - sold
                2001 X5 - sold

Comment

Working...
                X