Lightweight flywheel bad for turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightweight flywheel bad for turbo?

I figured I would post this in FI since it gets more traffic. My plan was to lighten my stock m20 flywheel to around 12-13 pounds but I have heard many mixed opinions on light flywheel and turbo cars I have a 16cm exhaust housing on my H1C I plan on using. And have heard since the engine is under less load it does not produce as much exhaust gases with the lighter flywheel. Does anyone have any experience on this that can chime in?

Im running a HX35 on an M20 and just replaced a 13lb Flywheel with a 17+ LB Flywheel and haven't compared logs yet but so far no noticeable difference on the Butt Dyno whatsoever.

Comment

Hmm interesting hopefully more people chime in.

Comment

I feel like the <10lbs lost in the flywheel is nothing compared to the >2500lbs of weight the engine is trying to move.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          I feel like the <10lbs lost in the flywheel is nothing compared to the >2500lbs of weight the engine is trying to move.
          There may or may not be something to the inertia of the heavier flywheel keeping the revs more stable, possibly higher in the range and keeping things spooled.

I personally do not like how light flywheels drive in normal stop and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Pudmunkie View Post
            There may or may not be something to the inertia of the heavier flywheel keeping the revs more stable, possibly higher in the range and keeping things spooled.

I personally do not like how light flywheels drive in normal stop and go.
            Kinda right, mass on the flywheels has a massive effect. The moment of inertia is basically what the fancy term for this is called.

Comment

Working...
            X