Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member, couple questions

Hi folks,
    I am the proud owner of a 1992 e30 325 Convertible, white over black, with 160k miles. Bought it from a wonderful little old lady who took fantastic care of it, gave me ALL the service records, etc. She never drove it in the cold, and always garaged it.

I've done some work on it to get it completely up to snuff, and have encountered a few issues, hoping you all can help:

-the OBC light display looked very feint, so I bought an LED conversion, installed it, and nothing changed. It's illuminated, but very, very feint, no where like it should be, and not even close to the radio's display. When I removed the old light bar, I could see there was some illumination, very feint, even without the light bar inserted. Inserting the new bar didn't improve it at all. Any ideas what it might be?

-the heater core and associated plumbing was removed. Any comments on how tough an install that might be?

-Radio code won't take. I did once, then I disconnected it another time and the code won't take. I've waited over an hour, driven around a bunch, and still it won't take. It beeps, but the display stays on CoDE, and entering it won't work. I've done all the research I can, here and elsewhere, and I'm still stumped.

-Should there be a ping or chime or some sort of notification when the lights are left on, to remind me to shut them off?

-When I close the doors, the window hits the convertible top, and sometimes I have to push the window in to get it to close all the way. Is there any quick fix to that?
    Thanks!
    CATTMAN
    Attached Files

welcome!

i haven't done an obc led conversion, but if the polarity is backwards leds do not work. you may look into that.

taking out the heater core is pretty odd. my only guess is that it started leaking and the previous owner didn't have the funds to fix it properly. i think there is a panel in the side of the evaporator box that will allow it to slide in from the driver's side?

the factory radio is great if you like to listen to your old cassettes of journey and ozzy ozbourne. why not buy an aftermarket radio that doesn't look like it just flew out of star trek's ass? be sure to buy adapters instead of cutting up the factory wiring loom.

unfortunately, e30s have no headlight ding. when i was new to this sport, i thought mine was broken, but it does make a few noises for other things.

your window is probably out of adjustment. take the inside door panel off(i also take out the seat on the associated side. with the door closed, i get to work on adjusting the glass so it aligns properly with the top and also the back window.

we have a cabrio section a little further down. i suggest reading through the threads posted there. you will learn a ton. good luck
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by cattman View Post
      Hi folks,
      I am the proud owner of a 1992 e30 325 Convertible, white over black, with 160k miles. Bought it from a wonderful little old lady who took fantastic care of it, gave me ALL the service records, etc. She never drove it in the cold, and always garaged it.

CATTMAN
      Welcome. New-ish member here as well with a twin, except mine is a '91 w 125k and stick.
      (I'm jealous of your plastic bumpers)
      Attached Files
      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
      -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

the answers to everything you asked are in this forum. Except the one about the OBC. It sounds like it's not getting the full 12v. You will want to get a volt meter and the electric troubleshooting manual (google wedophones and bmw electric etc and you'll find it. It's also on here somewhere) and anyway trace the signal to find out what resistor/relay/etc is broken to reduce the voltage. It sounds complicated but really isn't

just get an aftermarket radio, they're better newer more relevant actually work etc etc. Or get a used one from a junkyard

heater core removed? If the PO already went through the labor of taking it out, putting a new one in isn't much more work..

There is a thread with video about the window adjustment. Just look around

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

The OBC light may be simply voltage due to a faulty relay or resistor, aren't all of those located in the fuse box? If so, it would be cheap and easy to just tinker with those, no?
          CATTMAN

Comment

Working...
          X