No announcement yet.

S54 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autronic can do dual vanos control. That is what Dom bought for his s50b32 swap.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
      MS4
      And Motec, EFI Tech, etc... but has anyone actually used one on an S54? (besides pro racers using motec)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
        Looking back I would probably go S54 w/ Motec engine management and aftermarket gauges. Essentially bypass the C101 connection altogether.

BTW I have a nice solution for the brake booster issue. v2.0 is weather tight and fits in a nice small package (4x4x6.125). No fitment issues with the euro 3.2 intake, so I assume it would be fine with the S54 intake.

Do it, Fred, do it... Cave in to the peer pressure...
        pics of said booster solution???

why would you bypass c101 when it only takes liek 15 connections to get everything to work like stock. C101 isnt the issue its the ems. and AEM does do dual vanos if you want it too. this is the route i am goin.
        e30sport.net
        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Here is a pic of the v2.0 prototype. The final version will be a bit more polished looking, but you get the idea.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
            why would you bypass c101 when it only takes liek 15 connections to get everything to work like stock. C101 isnt the issue its the ems. and AEM does do dual vanos if you want it too. this is the route i am goin.
            I haven't seen the ETM for the S54's, so I can't comment. But if I'm going aftermarket gauges, the only C101 connections that I would really need would be the starter/alt, so why not bypass it all together?

Comment

How much, Mike?

Comment

I haven't seen the ETM for the S54's, so I can't comment. But if I'm going aftermarket gauges, the only C101 connections that I would really need would be the starter/alt, so why not bypass it all together?
                yoru right, if you plan on ditching the oem stuff you really doesnt need c101
                e30sport.net
                '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  How much, Mike?
                  I am still trying to finalize some details... Steel v. Alum., include masters or not, include fittings, etc...

I'm not sure how much of a market these would have, so I'll probably make these on an 'as needed' basis.

Comment

Here is a pic of the v2.0 prototype.

So theres no power assist then ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Nope.

Master cylinder size is spec'd to accomodate this.

Comment

Here is a pic of the v2.0 prototype. The final version will be a bit more polished looking, but you get the idea.
                        Looks pretty sweet! :D

I notice there's some welding done to the plenum--this looks like it might have been done while you were futzing around with different brake booster combos, because this v2.0 prototype looks like it clears no problem! Did you decide on dual 7/8" MCs for front and rear?

Thanks for your input guys, I'm seriously mulling this one over! I figure it'd be easiest to drop in an S50B30 (like, the real one) over the winter and call it a day, but an idle mind is the devil's playground...

The mechanical part is no problem, but the EMS is a little intimidating. I know I could just go with evosport's AEM system, as it requires wiring the bare harness to a dozen or so of the stock S54 sensors, getting their mechanical throttle and Vanos blockoff plate.

I have no qualms with not running Vanos. I figure if it can be enabled, though, I might as well take advantage of it and avoid having to buy $550 worth of nonadjustable cam gears and a blockoff plate.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

fred - i too have been contemplating this for a good daily driver. i just dont have any time this winter.

dont forget about the oil pan. not sure if it can (or is even a good idea) to be swapped with the e34 lump. i have been exploring the possibilities of using a different method to keep the s54 oil pan / pump. (would also work on the s50's to keep the dual sump.) no conclusive answers.

mike - nice work on the dual master. looks awesome.

cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            Looks pretty sweet! :D

I notice there's some welding done to the plenum--this looks like it might have been done while you were futzing around with different brake booster combos, because this v2.0 prototype looks like it clears no problem! Did you decide on dual 7/8" MCs for front and rear?

Thanks for your input guys, I'm seriously mulling this one over! I figure it'd be easiest to drop in an S50B30 (like, the real one) over the winter and call it a day, but an idle mind is the devil's playground...

The mechanical part is no problem, but the EMS is a little intimidating. I know I could just go with evosport's AEM system, as it requires wiring the bare harness to a dozen or so of the stock S54 sensors, getting their mechanical throttle and Vanos blockoff plate.

I have no qualms with not running Vanos. I figure if it can be enabled, though, I might as well take advantage of it and avoid having to buy $550 worth of nonadjustable cam gears and a blockoff plate.
                            I am using 3/4th (19mm) masters for the E30M3 brakes installed on the car. It's a pretty firm pedal because the pedal ratio is around 4:1, but it will be very nice for the track. The 7/8th masters in the picture above are installed on another car.

EMS install is pretty straight forward and can be done DIY with sucess, but the tuning is better left to a shop with a good dyno operator. I can't stress this enough. I've done quite a few Porshe 911 EFI conversions and the tuning portion is crucial. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of money on dyno time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
                              fred - i too have been contemplating this for a good daily driver. i just dont have any time this winter.

dont forget about the oil pan. not sure if it can (or is even a good idea) to be swapped with the e34 lump. i have been exploring the possibilities of using a different method to keep the s54 oil pan / pump. (would also work on the s50's to keep the dual sump.) no conclusive answers.

mike - nice work on the dual master. looks awesome.

cheers, jason
                              I'd love to go drysump, but it is BIG $$$ for a complete system.

Comment

dont forget about the oil pan. not sure if it can (or is even a good idea) to be swapped with the e34 lump.
                                The E34 M50 pan works, but it may not be optimal. The MITE46 guy used the E34 M50 pan, pump, and pickup. He combined it with an Accusump. This seems to be a fairly inexpensive and useful solution, but then again you have to rely upon the M50 oil pump. Retaining the S54 (or S50) dual pickup and oil pump would be nice.

i have been exploring the possibilities of using a different method to keep the s54 oil pan / pump. (would also work on the s50's to keep the dual sump.) no conclusive answers.
                                Long ago, I remember someone welding parts of an E36 front subframe to the E30 front subframe in order to retain the rear sump of the E36 oil pan. At the time, I thought, why not just buy an E34 pan and be done with it! However, with the dual pickup pans and pumps, there's a good reason to retain the rear sump of the S50/54.

Maybe I'll go to the junkyard and scope out what the E36 front subframe looks like.

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X