eBay headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay headers

I did a little searching and maybe I missed it but are the eBay headers that bad? I'm running ie shorties now and they are getting a little haggard. I'm considering going long tube headers and don't have the extra cash for nice headers. I have the ability to modify the headers if needed.
    09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
    05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
    87 BMW 325is
    a few bicycles

I had the IE long tube headers on my 2 eta's. Technically they where more a mid tube then long tube though. Plus the ebay ones are the exact same thing as the IE headers. Only problem I had on mine was the #5 tube was bent some and wouldn't line up with the studs on the head. I had to oblong the holes in the flange. Others had similar problems with their headers also. If you're going to use headers I suggest finding ones with a full flange.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      I had the IE long tube headers on my 2 eta's. Technically they where more a mid tube then long tube though. Plus the ebay ones are the exact same thing as the IE headers. Only problem I had on mine was the #5 tube was bent some and wouldn't line up with the studs on the head. I had to oblong the holes in the flange. Others had similar problems with their headers also. If you're going to use headers I suggest finding ones with a full flange.
      Thanks man. I'll see what I can find. I guess worst case would be weld a new flange on
      09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
      05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
      87 BMW 325is
      a few bicycles

Comment

I think your referring to the IE "shorties".

Funny history there. Initially there were some designed be IE and made locally by MSDS (we're talking 10 years ago). The fit and finish left alot to be desired (msds still makes them and sells through a different vendor). The production went to a chinese company, ironically the first ones that came were great. Then after the initial batch they started to decline. After pointing out the poor fit to the factory (along the same time it was being made apparent from customers) the chinese manufacturer turned around and started selling them through your warehouse-district ebay vendors.

It was a case similar to what has happened to Bimmerworld and others with various parts.

Now days the shorties go through some pretty decent QC at IE. But they shouldn't be confused with the long-tubes.
        Last edited by SkiFree; 04-11-2014, 09:57 AM.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
          I think your referring to the IE "shorties".

Funny history there. Initially there were some designed be IE and made locally by MSDS (we're talking 10 years ago). The fit and finish left alot to be desired (msds still makes them and sells through a different vendor). The production went to a chinese company, ironically the first ones that came were great. Then after the initial batch they started to decline. After pointing out the poor fit to the factory (along the same time it was being made apparent from customers) the chinese manufacturer turned around and started selling them through your warehouse-district ebay vendors.

It was a case similar to what has happened to Bimmerworld and others with various parts.

Now days the shorties go through some pretty decent QC at IE. But they shouldn't be confused with the long-tubes.
          No I'm not talking about the shorties.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

No I'm not talking about the shorties.
            Hmm, gotcha. Well I know there was a small batch a number of years ago. Maybe 25 sets in total. They bear no relation to the longtubes of today.

Side note, you see the Discover Channel show with all the corvairs?
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Never seen it, but did hear all about it on Corvair sites and FB pages. Basically the show was a typical made up drama fest.

True story here,

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
              X