v8 powered track wheel setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v8 powered track wheel setup

I have an ls1 powered e30, making 400hp/400tq at the wheels.
    I did my first track day this past weekend and I was very happy on how the car behaved.
    I am running 16x8 225/50r16 BFG comp 2 and 16x9 245/45r16 Brig Potenza re11. The car had some traction issues but I was satisfied with it.

The major problem is tire availability, so I am looking to sell my wheels and tires and purchase 17" wheels.

I did some research and I think I can go with a 17x8 17x9 staggered or 17x8 square setup, My fenders are rolled and pulled.

What setup do you guys advice, would a 17x8 square with 245/40/r17 work wheel, or a 17x8 235/225 17x9 245 work better?

What wheels should I look into, I'm not looking for anything fancy, and they don't really have to be that light, just cheap since I want to spend money and tires and a BBK from massive.
    LS1 91 325i - BC Coils, e46 m3 brakes,style 32 17x9, Red Plastidip, H/C/I

Are you still 4 lug? I'd look at TRM or Kozei wheels. Light and cheap.
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

go for 9's in the rear, 245s might be a bit too fat for a 8" wheel

Comment

245's should be fine on an 8, provided they have a decently stiff sidewall. If you're set on 17's Apex ARC-8's might be a good choice, though they're only available in 17x8.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I was going to suggest arc-8 but he said cheap hahaha
          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

ARC-8s are great track wheels. 9s and a fatter tire will help put down power better but you won't be able to rotate tires, and you'll have a hard time putting more than a 245 anywhere on an E30. For 400whp I'd suggest a stickier compound than RE-11. Try an NT01.

Comment

I have 245/40s on 17x9 et20 on the front of my car with ground control. They DO fit stock fenders and I am pretty low. I am not sure they would clear an OEM strut housing, though. That being said, I have 275/40s on 17x10s out back and am selling my front wheels to run a square 17x10 275/40 setup. I want to be able to rotate my wheels and tires, and I already cut the stock flares off and put Kamotor ultrawides on.
              '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

Originally posted by chondamx View Post
                I have 245/40s on 17x9 et20 on the front of my car with ground control. They DO fit stock fenders and I am pretty low. I am not sure they would clear an OEM strut housing, though. That being said, I have 275/40s on 17x10s out back and am selling my front wheels to run a square 17x10 275/40 setup. I want to be able to rotate my wheels and tires, and I already cut the stock flares off and put Kamotor ultrawides on.
                Pics my friend.:)

Comment

Originally posted by L8 apexr View Post
                  Pics my friend.:)
                  I'll be happy to once I get some things buttoned up so I can pull it out of the garage. It is still very much a project at this point.
                  '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

I am still 4 lug, and would like to keep it so I can go with massive monster brake kit.
                    I'm on bc racing coils, revalved with stiff springs.
                    I'm looking for a setup for road course racing, so a square setup I think would be a great idea tire wise.
                    I'm not really looking a flares yet.
                    @chondamx , how much power are you running? Do you have traction issues, did you like the 17x9 setup?
                    There is a nice set of arc8 for sale here on r3v and I'm very interested, I'm only afraid 17x8 might not be enough, even on r compounds

Comment

I'm 255/40/17 square. If it wasn't a Lemons car (ie not worried about taking a bat to the fenders), it'd be tough.
                      sigpic

Comment

I understand that I will have clearance issues running 17x9 or larger, would I be better off running 15" wheels, is tire selection better than 16" ?

I will be eventually running a big brake kit, I think 15" will severely cut my selection of rotors for the brakes.

Can I run 17x9 square with a 245/40 tire? Will they work with rolled and pulled. I just realized they are still 24.7" in diameter, which is only 0.2" less than my 225/50r16 that I run now that rubs...

What do most people run with big power? I could put flares, I'm just afraid to upset the balance of the car as right now it feels very good, it just rubs when pushed hard on the turns at the track

@chondamx, did you roll your front fenders to fit 17x9, i have coilovers and my 16x8 et20 are very (very..) close

I know rotas are not considered great but they have the 17x9 grids et20, I could do a square setup 245/40r17, great tire selection.

ARC8 are a great wheel but only offered in 17x8 for the e30 4 lug, which I don't think is wide enough

Comment

Have a look at koya wheels. 17x8 and 9 in choice of offsets and light.

this is what they look like on jules325i's E30

sigpic

Comment

this is just a thought, but you could do a 5lug conversion to get better wheel selection + a big ass brake kit for all four wheels that will outperform just massives' front kit in most situations.

$200 - hub adapters to use e46 hubs on your e30 spindles (search threads by Max399)

$200 - z4 hubs for the rear

$500 or less if thrifty and use junkyard parts - e46 330i front brakes and 328 brakes in the rear

$100 for some 5x120 -> 5x114 hub adapters

$1000 for cheap wheels & tires

boom - for $2k or less you just got yourself a BBK on all four corners plus a new set of wheels

Comment

Working...
                            X