No announcement yet.

Wheels/tires for a chump car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 hot is our target. When i came in after pushing for about 10 laps, the tires were greased to hell near the end and pressure was at 43. Felt like driving on ice.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

We shoot for 34-35 hot, 28/29 cold.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Blue55 View Post
        We run 15x7 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 on our e30 chumpcar and on my spece30. Used to run the D-Force but found that they don't stand up to any abuse and bend easy. Haven't seen this issue with the TD's. We run Falken 615's in the 205/50-15 size. This has been a solid setup and hard to beat on price and performance.
        #205 Ronald's Racers
        Chip
        '87 325iS
        spece30
        '01 330 5sp
        '10 328 6sp

Comment

I have always run 15x7 Kosei K1 with 205s in spece30 (toyo RA1 and R8eight) and in a couple of Chump races (Rivals). No complaints on any of them, but on the long carousel turn at Atlanta Motorsports Park last November, it seemed clear that many of our chump competitors had more ultimate cornering grip than us. The e30 was great in transitions, great under braking, and relatively strong on straights, but in that long steady carousel I could see the gaps open with many cars I was chasing (faster and slower cars).

I am just thinking (hoping) that 225s on some 15x8s will give us a bit more cornering grip..

As for tire pressures, I have never been able to scientifically test what is ideal. I usually start at 28.5ish on outside front and 30ish on inside rear (cold) with any tire I have run. I sometimes add or subtract a bit to get around 36-8ish hot all around, but really, I have no idea what is best.
          Last edited by GillesBigCowboy; 04-17-2015, 05:05 PM.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

olddude13 Here, We run a e30 in chumpcar and run oz wheels 16/7 superturismo WRC
            tires are 225/50R16 Dunlop Direzza Z11 If it matters we run a m52 engine
            tire rack will heat cycle your tires for you, or you can do it at a track day the key is to let them sit and they will last a lot longer.

Comment

I forgot to mention you will need wheel spacers F/R i think .25'' thick

Comment

I've decided to go with these http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...5&autoModClar=
                and run 225/45/15 RS3 for now. We can't run spacers so this should do the trick.
                ChumpCar and 24 Hours of Lemons racer. Subscribe to YouTube channel with my E30 race build, 1M and 280hp Nissan 240SX track build in progress.
                http://www.revmatch.tv

Comment

why no spacers?

Comment

Originally posted by olddude13 View Post
                    why no spacers?
                    Chump Car has a points system and running spacers will add in points that we cannot afford.
                    ChumpCar and 24 Hours of Lemons racer. Subscribe to YouTube channel with my E30 race build, 1M and 280hp Nissan 240SX track build in progress.

Comment

When are you racing the new stuff?
                      Let us know how it works.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
                        When are you racing the new stuff?
                        Let us know how it works.
                        We are planning on our first race being June 5-6. It's gonna be tight!

Comment

I would put 205 on 15x8 and 225 on 15x9

in my experience with 205/50/15 and 225/45/15 R1R, 205 on 15x8 is just as fast as 225 on 15x8.

Just my $0.02

Comment

I have RS-3s (225/45/15) and TRM C-1s in 15x8 on my S52d E30. I'm lowered on Vogtland coils and had to roll the rear fenders. No issues with rubbing. It's an awesome setup that I think you'll really like for chump. I second watching the air pressure. I can post a pic of the car if you want to see it.
                            sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Working...
                            X